Severe nerve pain after CoolSculpting, 8 days in and not at all better. Could this be permanent nerve damage?

Extremely sharp burning pains and shooting pains in lower and upper abdomen from cool sculpting. Day 8 post treatment and severe pain started day 4 and hasn't subsided, am taking neurontin and it does nothing for the pain, compression and ice no longer work as pain triples as soon as I take ice off, how long is the worst case scenario of this pain? Could this be permanent nerve damage?

Coolsculpting and pain

I appreciate your question.
Nerve pain is the worst part of the procedure.
It does get better
If its intolerable please speak to your doctor about nerve pain meds
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Pain following CoolSculpting

A late onset of a sharp, annoying, pain following treatment with the large CoolSculpting applicator is rare but can happen. If this occurs your physician will prescribe Neurontin to help alleviate these symptoms.  Some patients also like to wear a fitted tank top to help aid in some relief when sleeping. I would suggest follow up with your physician to see if he may want to up your dosage since this can last anywhere from 2-3 weeks. It would be extremely rare for this to be permanent. Hang in there!

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Late onset pain after CoolSculpting

Pain that occurs at day 4 is very common. It is usually gone by 2 weeks, but could last 4-6 weeks.  I would recommend you follow up with the physician that treated you.  If neurontin doesn't work, there are other things that can helpful.  It would be extremely rare to be a permanent problem.

Trey Aquadro, M.D.
Auburn, AL

Pain after Coolscupting

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure but one rare side effect is localized pain after the procedure.  Neurontin usually helps and you should speak to your physician about being prescribed that medication.  This localized pain resolves in one to two weeks.  Please return to your treating physician for examination and assistance.

Pain after Coolsculpting

This kind of pain can occur. It can last as much as 2-3 weeks. It typically resolves. Give it time. I would not apply ice. Sometimes compression or tight garments can make it worse. I would advise Ibuprofen. Lidocaine patches also are very helpful. We typically prescribe these and some pain medication if this occurs. I believe your symptoms will resolve. Try not to panic.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Nerve pain after Coolsculpting

Sorry to hear about your symptoms after Coolsculpting.  I find that compression can also help in addition to the neurontin.  For my patients where the discomfort is very intense, I usually recommend increasing the dose of the medication until the symptoms subside.  I also remind the patients that if we go to higher doses, then we need to taper down the dose.  Another suggestion for your discomfort are compounding medications that have the neurontin as well as other anti-inflammatory medications.
I usually explain to patients that the intensity usually subsides by the end of the 2nd week.

Severe Nerve Pain After CoolSculpting

Hi Dawn. This is a rare, but known side effect of the CoolSculpting treatment. It doesn't happen to everyone. It usually resolves completely within 2 weeks, but in some cases it can take as long as 4-6 weeks. It will not cause permanent nerve damage. You should follow up with your provider if you haven't already.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Nerve Pain

this happens in some patients and i suggest you contact your physician, oral prednisone, oral neurontin and diuretics all seem to help.  lymphatic massage is also useful if you can tolerate it. It would resolve in 6-8 weeks. Best, Dr. Emer

Coolscuplt

Coolscuplting will not cause permanent nerve damage, the company itself has done many studies to prove this. This discomfort can last up to 3 weeks. It is best to go back to the physician whom carried out to procedure to see if you are able to have anything to manage the pain better. This can be a normal reaction to Coolscuplt and it will subside over time.

All the best
Dr Davin Lim
Dermatologist 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Pain after coolsculpting

What you are experiencing is very common. The pain subsides in about 2-3 weeks.  I know it probably drives you crazy,  but I have never seen anyone with any permanent nerve damage.