How long should I wait to get pregnant after Coolsculpting?

I want to start trying to get pregnant in 3 months, but I want to treat my uneven belly from previous liposuction. Is it not enough time to do a treatment before trying to conceive? I'm 38 years old, 118 pounds and 5'3". I have one child and want to do this procedure before I get pregnant because I plan in nursing after I give birth and won't be able to do anything cosmetic for a long time.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
There is no time limit as you can try right away
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

How long do I need to wait for pregnancy after having CoolSculpting?

Once the actual CoolSculpting treatment is done, you can try to become pregnant any time. There are no ongoing systemic effects from CoolSculpting that would impact pregnancy.

Carmen Kavali, MD

CoolSculpting

Pregnancy is not an issue after a CoolSculpting treatment. The CoolSculpting procedure is completely non-invasive, so the patient can return to normal activities immediately. Some patients experience redness, minor bruising, tingling, or numbness in the treated area, but this is temporary. CoolSculpting only affects fat cells in the targeted area, so there is no need to worry about adverse effects when becoming pregnant following a treatment.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting

There is no reason to delay pregnancy after a CoolSculpting treatment, however it is not advisable to undergo a CoolSculpting treatment after you become pregnant, or you are planning to become pregnant within a short period of time. A better approach and best results are seen if you wait until after your pregnancy to undergo a CoolSculpting treatment so that weight gained during pregnancy does not adversely affect the results. 

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

3 months should be adequate

I have never heard a patient ask this question but in considering the science behind CoolSculpting I would not expect that you would have any problems having a perfectly healthy pregnancy after being treated. Best of luck!

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Coolsculpting and Pregnancy

There is no reason to wait after coolsculpting to get pregnant.  However your body will change and gain weight with your pregnancy and it might be best to save your money and have the procedure after you have another baby.

Coolsculpting

If you have stubborn, excess fat right now, it will be there after pregnancy as well.  The question is, will you just want a tummy tuck after pregnancy.....  depends on your skin laxity.  If you are considering CS on your abdomen, I would wait and decide what you need after you are done having kids.  If it is love handles or thighs or bra fat, I would treat now.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting before and after pregnancy

Dear LAmama2015:

There is no reason to delay pregnancy following the completion of your CoolSculpting (CS) treatments. You may expect some discomfort for a week or 2 after described as "Braxton-Hicks"-like contractions of the tummy by some female patients so make sure you are not pregnant before starting CS!

You may not use CS during your pregnancy and should wait 3 month or more following your pregnancy and breast feeding to resume CS. 

Good luck and discuss these plans with your Obstetrician!

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and Pregnancy

There is no wait time to getting pregnant after coolsculpting. I would have waited for coolsculpting till after pregnancy so you didn't waste money, as you will gain weight during pregnancy.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting Before Getting Pregnant

You can start trying to conceive immediately after your CoolSculpting treatment if you wanted to. One thing that you may want to keep in mind though is that you will be gaining weight during your pregnancy. You may want to consider doing the CoolSculpting after you have delivered, it may be a better return on investment for you that way. We treat a lot of post-pregnancy bellies with great results. Either way the timing shouldn't matter for you. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon