Sculptra results uneven. Is it possible each side of my face will show results at different times?

I'm 42 years old and had 2 vials of sculptra injected in my cheeks, hollow, temples and lower face in January. I went back to my doctor 6 weeks later and he injected another 2 vials, for a total of 4 vials. It is now exactly 4 weeks after my last treatment and one side of my face is noticeably fuller than the other. My question is, is it possible that the less full side will fill out at a different time and "catch up" to the fuller side? My doctor is a board certified dermatologist.

Asymmetry after Sculptra

Thank you for your question nssvintage. Sculptra (poly-L lactic acid) is a biostimulator which signals your skin to form new collagen when injected. Multiple treatments are required and results are seen slowly over time.
Asymmetry in the face is common and actually normal. So a slight amount of asymmetry often times is not noticeable, but significant asymmetry can create distress. I personally prefer the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Voluma over Radiesse, Sculptra, and Artefil (Belafil). This is because the improvement is seen right away, multiple treatments are not required, and they can be reversed if the results are not desirable. These fillers can be used in combination with Sculptra for correction of asymmetry. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Uneven Sculptra Results

Sculptra is a great product that utilizes poly-L-lactic acid to gradually stimulate the body’s own collagen. If you feel like one side of your face appears fuller than the other then I would recommend you returning for more Sculptra in that area.

If you want immediate results, you can also consider having a dermal filler injected to quickly even out the area. Whichever injection you decide, please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience using facial cosmetic injections.

Anil Sharma, MD
Edmonton Otolaryngologist

Sculptra and Results

the answer is yes and no.  to get the best results from sculptra you need to continue treatments.  if you notice one side is less than another you touch up that side that needs it or use other fillers to do so as well.  sculptra builds over time and once you get to correct that you like you maintain that a few times a year.  we combine with skin tightening procedures like thermage/ultherapy to stimulate the sculptra to work more.  I suggest you see an expert in combination results.  Dr. Emer.

Sculptra Asymmetry

Hi NSS.  It's still possible that there may be some change, but it's more likely that any changes will occur on both sides simultaneously such that asymmetry may persist.  

If the cheeks are not too full, you may consider using a traditional filler to even things out.

To see an example of an asymmetrical facial structure that we fixed with Restylane Lyft and Sculptra, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Sculptra

If the asymmetry is very noticeable and obvious then I would seek a solution now, either by injecting more filler to the less full side, or other options.  There is no reason for you to have to walk around with a significant asymmetry when it can be addressed. If the asymmetry however is subtle, I would wait a bit and see how it settles it.  Be well!

Estee Williams, MD

Uneven Sculptra results

Most people do not have completely symmetric faces, so it is not uncommon for one side of the face to be fuller than the other prior to any treatment.  I am not certain if this is the case with you, but you could examine photos of you before the treatment to see.  In people that do have one side that is fuller than the other, Sculptra treatments can normally be tailored to help even out the sides.  I would discuss your concern with the physician who treated you, as this most likely could be done with future treatments.  In regards to one side filling out at a different rate than the other, this is not something that I have observed.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry After Sculptra

The most likely scenario is your facial structure was uneven before injection and that the enhancement has enabled you to visualize it. Hopefully, pre injection photos were taken. If so, post injection photos should be taken for comparison. 

A less likely scenario is uneven distribution of product.  There will likely not be any 'catch up', however. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS