Can I remove my tattoo, get laser hair removal, then make the same tattoo again?

I have a tattoo on my left arm, back and chest. The tattoo is just black lines and I want to remove my body hair with laser but I can't because of the tattoo so I was wondering if I could remove the tattoo do the laser hair removal then make the tattoo again.

Tattoo removal

You can start by removing your tattoo, wait for the healing of the skin, and then you can do hair removal. Once the treatments finished you can do your tattoo. However, since hair removal is not completely permanent you may need to do maintenance. Maybe you can re-do your tattoo in an area where you don’t need to do hair removal.

Montreal Dermatologist

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. You can get treated for laser hair removal while avoiding your current tattoo, then have a tattoo removal treatment, separately. Settings on the lasers used will vary between treatments, you do not want to get treated all at once. After a tattoo is removed, the area can be re-tattooed. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tattoo Removal then Laser Hair Removal

If done correctly you should have no problems removing a tattoo, getting laser hair removal, and then re-tattooing as desired.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Tattooing and Laser Hair Removal

If a tattoo remains the laser hair removal will burn the skin. I suggest seeing an expert for the appropriate treatment option. Best, Dr. Emer.

Remove a tattoo before laser hair removal

This is the only way to get treated for the hair. The laser for hair removal will cause a burn if used over the tattoo. It seems like a significant amount of money and time to get the hair removed though.

Steven F. Weiner, MD