Is bleeding normal for laser tattoo removal? (Photo)

I had my second session of tatto removal my first one went great no bleeding or scabing. This second time my whole tattoo seamed to be bleeding in spots all over and there was one spot that had a bit more blood is this normal. The lady said this time the setting was higher should I ask to be done at the original setting from the first time ? Will this mean I will scar and have trouble with the healing for the second time ?

Bleeding After Laser Tattoo Removal

Having some bleeding after laser tattoo removal is normal. You should heal nicely. Blisters is what causes scarring. Make sure you are following your physician’s aftercare instructions. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. Pin-point bleeding after treatment can occur and is not uncommon. Follow proper post care instructions and healing should be as expected. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Bleeding after tattoo removal

The photo shows pinpoint bleeding which can sometimes be seen after laser treatment.  In my practice, I don't see pinpoint bleeding with the Q Plus C laser as much as I did with older Q-switched YAG lasers.  This is likely because the Q Plus C laser has a uniform beam profile without hot spots in the beam.  The energy setting on the laser can also determine whether bleeding occurs after treatment.  

Good wound care is very important.  Discuss with your doctor what kind of wound care you should use.   If you think that the treatment was too aggressive, then the laser settings should be turned down next time.  Perhaps don't schedule your next treatment for a few months to let the skin fully heal.  If you have concerns, you should return to see your doctor to be evaluated in person.

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Bleeding after Laser Tattoo Removal--Needs wound care

Bleeding is likely due to treatment performed too aggressively. I suggest speaking to your treating dermatologist as they will have suggestions for wound care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Small amount of bleeding after tattoo removal

Hi,

A small amount of bleeding is normal after tattoo removal. With each treatment the laser is "turned up" to target the remaining ink. Follow proper after care instructions and you should heal just fine.

​Blistering after Laser Tattoo Removal

Thanks for your question.  You did not mention what laser was used in this treatment.  The picture looks to be just pinpoint blistering.

Q-Switch or nanosecond lasers have a more inherent risk of complication over picosecond lasers.  Blistering is more common on the lower extremities (below elbows and knees) because blood flow is less so healing is slower.  Laser tattoo removal blisters should generally be treated like those from a sun burn.  We do not recommend you puncture (pop) them.  If you must, use a sterile needle to drain the fluid, but keep the overlying skin otherwise intact and in place to protect the healing area.  We also recommend keeping it elevated as much as possible.  Avoid heat (hot tub, hard cardio workout, working outside, etc.) for 24 hours after laser treatment and as long as you have blisters. There are several ways to tell if it gets infected:  fever or high heat on the treated area (although with swelling, you can expect that area to be warmer than non-swollen areas of your body), appearance of pus or drainage of any color other than clear, if the swelling decreases, then seems to increase again, especially if the swelling becomes hard or painful.  You will probably know if it becomes infected-the appearance of the wound will change.  If you have any questions about it at all, seek medical attention immediately.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Small amounts of bleeding after laser tattoo removal

This is not out of the range of normal. It should heal fine. Blistering is what can lead to scarring. Make sure you do the appropriate wound care that the office recommended.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Bleeding after tattoo removal

The appearance of the tattoo in the photo is typical after treatment.  It should heal without scarring.  It is common to change settings from treatment to treatment, as the operator sees how it is responding and the ink begins to fade.