Can a patient re-pierce their ears after an Ear Lobe Reconstruction Surgery?

I have just gotten the surgery today. I asked my doctor if I can re-pierce my ears. He said yes but I wanted more expert opinions. And what precautions I should take before red piercing my ears?

Re-pierce Ears After Earlobe Reconstruction

Yes, it's perfectly fine to re-pierce the ears after an earlobe reconstruction.  In most cases I recommend re-piercing no sooner than 1 month after sutures are removed.

Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a patient re-pierce their ears after Ear Lobe Reconstructive Surgery

Thank you for your question.  I would say it is best to wait 6 months before re-piercing your ears to make sure the ears are stable.  You should consult your surgeon to see what he thinks is best.

Best of luck to you,

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD

Your plastic surgeon has given you good/appropriate advice. Probably best not to re pierce the ears in the area of previous repair. Best wishes.

Can a patient re-pierce their ears after an ear lobe reconstruction surgery?

I would say you can repierce your ears in 2-3 months. The surgeon you chose should really be your best resource. Good luck. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Repiercing Ear Lobes After Repair

• I have my patients wait 4-6 weeks after earlobe repair before having their earlobes re-pierced.

Re-piercing ear lobes

Thank you for your question about your ear lobe surgery.

1. I consider re-oiercing the ears to be part of ear lobe reconstruction surgery. 
  2. If your surgeon won't do it, contact a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon.
  3. The placement of the piercing must be precise - to avoid scar tissue while keeping the piercing symmetry.
  4. Often the ideal placement is 1 cm lateral to the crease, 1 cm below the tragus - and adjustments must be made to avoid the surgical scar.
  5. You should only wear very light studs at first.
  6. Wait 6 weeks until re-piercing.
  7. Leave the earrings in without changing for 6 weeks after re-piercing.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Ear Re-Piercing

Yes, you can re-pierce them. We usually wait at least 6 weeks after the repair surgery before doing so. Best of luck!

Larry Pollack, MD

Earlobe repair with scar revision

Our office specializes in scar revision surgery, including the earlobes. We recommend repiercing of the earlobes about 4 to 6 weeks after earlobe repair. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

You can

Yes you are able to pierce the ear again after surgery. You want to make sure you wait a couple of weeks before doing so. Good luck.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Yes, you can

We usually recommend waiting at least 6 weeks so have good wound healing strength . Also pierce the area just in front of or behind where the repair suture line is . Good luck.

Wilbur Hah, MD
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon