How long does post- Fraxel redness last?

I hade Fraxel laser done 10 days ago. Since then my face has taken on a deep shade of red, even though I finished peeling. Is this normal? How long will this deep redness last?

Thanks for your query. It lasts for minimum of 2 weeks but it depends on the intensity at which it is done. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Persistent redness can occur, but needs to be treated

While Fraxel is the gold standard for improvement of many skin problems like acne scarring, photoaging, and even actinic keratosis, there is great variablility from one doctor to the next regarding settings and even if the 1550 and/or the 1927 were used and how many passes were done. In general, I like the redness to be virtually gone by 7 days. Persistent redness can signal excess inflammation which will dramatically increase the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Please go see your treating physician. There are methods to decrease the inflammation and prevent untoward complications down the road. Good luck.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Post-Fraxel Redness

Fraxel is a fabulous laser to reduce pigmentation, scars, and fine lines.  If you still have redness I would return to your treatment physician to assess.  You might need prescription cortisone or other treatment.  Best, Dr. Green

Redness after Fraxel treatment

I presume you had the Fraxel 1550 or Dual (1550/1927) treatment. If this is the case, your face will initially be red and then will turn a darker shade(almost brown) as the pigment comes to the surface and falls off. The peeling should be finished by about 7-10 days after which your skin will be pink. This pink color of the skin will improve over the next few days to weeks. During this time, the skin maybe sensitive to certain skincare products. The fact that you describe a deep shade of red is a little concerning to me. I would followup with your physician to make sure that everything is healing properly. Often times, we will recommend a topical skincare regimen with/without prescription products as needed to expedite the healing.

Redness post Fraxel Laser

I would follow up with your treating practitioner since you describe a "deep shade" of redness. It is normal for some redness to last for weeks post-Fraxel. Often, a protocol consisting of calming, anti-inflammatory skin care products helps. Sometimes, we need to be more aggressive and use prescription corticosteroid medication. Additionally, we may add prescription cream to decrease risk of post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation. Last, there are anti-redness IPL/laser devices that diminish redness. As you can see, there are options to speed up resolution.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Redness after Fraxel

There are 3 wavelengths of Fraxel. The Fraxel re:pair is a CO2 and can have redness for 3 weeks normally. The other 2, part of the Dual, should have redness for 10 usually. Anything beyond those dates needs evaluation. Topicals and/or VBeam or Excel V can be done to decrease the redness. Prolonged redness leads to hyperpigmentation, particularly in darker individuals and should not be left untreated.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

The Redness Resolution

Redness can last weeks to months after laser depending on how aggressive the treatment.  Steroids can help but are often not the best choice.  Better to get on a hydrating calming skin care protocol.  See a laser expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.