Is it possible to get lateral canthoplasty without double eyelid surgery?

I like the shape of my eyes, but just want them to be longer. Some people have suggested either lateral canthoplasty alone or epicanthoplasty alone, but I have also heard that this would just make the eyes look more slit-like. I would like to have bigger versions of my current eyes, but do not want the double eyelid.

Lateral canthoplasty and surgeries to make the eye longer

Lateral canthoplasty in Asian patients refers to cutting the outer corners of the eye to elongate the eye opening. Medial epicanthoplasty refers to removing the skin web in the inner corner. Both procedures can be difficult to do without leaving scars. Lateral canthoplasty, in particular, has a high revision rate in my experience. In most cases, I find that a eyelid crease procedure along with a medial epicanthoplasty (inner epi) is sufficient; only very rarely do I see a patient in whom the scars and/ or need for revision would justify performing it. Photos would be greatly helpful in assessing your situation.

Asian Eyelid Elongation

Hello 'bubblekarp', thanks for your question.  However, I am not quite sure what you are asking. Lateral canthoplasty is a technique to resuspend the lower tarsal sling after a lower blepharoplasty +/- cheek lift procedure, which has nothing to do with double eyelid surgery that is typically performed in the Asian population.  If you are inquiring about options to address a tight medial eyelid canopy found in Asians, then there is a medial epicanthoplasty technique that can address this issue.  The size of your eyes per se will be the same, but this procedure can give the appearance of widened eyes by releasing the tight medial eyelid skin.  This can be performed alone without double eyelid surgery, although the majority of patients in my experience prefer to have both done at the same time.  Hopefully this answers your question. Good luck!

See oculoplastic specialist

Best to submit photos and/or see an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation. Also see following link for canthoplasty. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question but it demonstrates that you are confused about what a lateral canthoplasty is and why it is performed so see some experts in your area and after an examination learn what might be the best operation for you

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

What you want is not what your surgeons are talking about.

What United States surgeon think of when you ask for a lateral canthoplasty is not the lateral canthoplasty that is performed in South Korea.  First the lateral canthoplasty performed in South Korea is an attempt of widen the horiztonal palpebral fissure using a V to Y advancement of the mucocutaneous junction that lines the lateral eyelids lateral by removing skin.  It is a dreadful surgical procedure that is a total failure.  It never accomplishes what promised.  People who have the surgery are disfigured by the proceudure.  Please carefully study all the before and after photos on the internet of this procedure and you will begin to understand what I mean.  Now that is not at all what surgeons here in the United States mean when they say lateral canthoplasty.  Here lateral cathoplasty is a procedure that tighten the lower eyelid. It in now way makes the eye bigger.  It is not a cosmetic procedure.  It is an eyelid supporting procedure.  If your lower eyelid lateral canthus is weak and there is an issue with the lower eyelid, sure, the procedure might be right for you.  If you have this, at best, you will be disappointed with the result because it simply will not accomplish what you are hoping for.  There is no substitute for a personal consultation with a surgeon who focuses on offering high quality aesthetic eyelid surgery.  

Lateral canthoplasty with or without blepharoplasty

These two procedures may be done independently, but you describe your goals as 1) a longer eye (presuming horizontal opening longer) and 2) no double eyelid (blepharoplasty to eliminate some lid fold). If you are certain of the appearance that you desire, it makes good sense to have both done at the same time. The lateral canthoplasty will not resolve the "double eyelid", and the blepharoplasty will not make the eye "longer". An Oculoplastic surgeon would be able to help you understand the possibilities as well as the risks and benefits of both lateral canthoplasty and blepharoplasty. If the lateral canthoplasty is done independent of the blepharoplasty, it can give a transient slit-like appearance as the lower lid is tightened in the horizontal direction. If your upper lid margin (edge of the lid) is in a normal position, tightening of the lower lid with canthoplasty will not change the upper lid position with respect to the eye. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. The appearance of our eyes is an individual characteristic. The individual look of our eyes is partly due to the shape of the bone cavity, also referred to as the orbit. While little can be done to alter bone structure of this area, a lateral canthoplasty without the double eyelid surgery would be possible. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon