The IDEAL implant: Any opinions?

I have changed my mind on getting silicone and would like any input/info that anyone may have on the new, FDA approved IDEAL saline implant. I am very interested due to rhe claims that it has a more 'natural' look than traditional saline, without the worry of possible silicone bleed with the silicone implpants.

Love them so far

I have been in practice 18 years and have placed 6 or so pair of Ideal implants in the last month.  I think they are a great alternative to silicone, in fact I think these implants could make traditional saline implants obsolete. Jane

I am an FDA investigator for the IDEAL Implant and have followed my patients annually since first placing them in 2009. In general my patients are extremely happy with their choice. The IDEAL implant is now FDA approved and available in the USA and Canada. It is indeed more natural than traditional saline implants, softer and do not "bounce" as much as your own or silicone implants. Because there is no silicone gel inside there is no chance of silicone bleed. The internal structure controls movement of the saline and its design reduces folding and wrinkling which is thought to be a key cause of implant rupture/deflation. The outer edges are lowered for better contouring to the chest wall. 

The #IDEALIMPLANT contains no silicone gel,has a natural feel because of its unique design with an internal structure  for optimal shape. The 5 year data indicates a lower capsular contracture rate than most saline or silicone implants available. The peace of mind factor concerning  a silent rupture with silicone implants is significant for many of my patients. Instead of a MRI scan they just need to look in the mirror to know that their implant is intact. 

A Viable Alternative to Silicone Gel Implants

Ideal Implants have been available to the general public for some time now.  Although I was not one of the original investigators, I have been intrigued with the idea of a new breast implant that can satisfy the need for a very natural looking and feeling breast, without the significant drawbacks of silicone gel implants.  What drawbacks?  Silent (asymptomatic) rupture is the biggest problem with silicone breast implants.  The FDA states that an intact silicone breast implant is safe and effective, but a ruptured silicone implant should be promptly removed from the body.  Unfortunately, there is no definite way to determine if your silicone implant is ruptured, since the size remains essentially the same following rupture.  Because rupture rates of silicone implants rise according to the length of time they are inside of the body, the FDA has recommended that all women undergoing silicone breast augmentation, undergo an MRI exam after 3 years and then every 2 years after that for as long as they have silicone implants in.  Even MRI can miss over 10% of ruptured silicone breast implants, and  a positive MRI for a ruptured implant can be wrong up to 10% of the time.   

The Ideal Implant is specially constructed to perform similar to a silicone gel implant, with a soft, consistent natural feel, and less likelihood of visible or palpable rippling.  The major advantage over silicone is that the Ideal Implant is filled with natural saline solution, which will simply be safely absorbed by your body if the implant should rupture.  

In conclusion, I think that you are wise to consider the Ideal Implant as a viable and actually better alternative to silicone gel breast implants.

Ideal Structured Saline Implants - the closest we have to the "perfect" breast implant

I have been using mostly IDEAL structured saline implants since they became available approximately a year ago (Sept 2015). I have been augmenting breasts since 1991 and have seen every possible long term problem with breast implants over my career. I had always stated that the perfect breast implant does not exist, however the IDEAL implants are as close as it gets to the perfect breast implant. As a female plastic surgeon, I understand the connection of my patients with their breasts at a different level. Patients have always stated that they want the look and feel of their augmented breasts to be natural. The natural looking augmented breast can be achieved with any brand of implant regardless of what the implant is filled with. The dimensions of the patient's breast and the diameter of the implant are the important factors in achieving a natural look. The natural feel is dependent on the amount of "padding" the patient has, ie patient's own natural tissue, as well as, the feel of the implant. In the past, silicone implants felt softer and more natural compared to saline implants, provided the capsule around the implant did not contract. However, there are some negatives with silicone implants: silent rupture requiring MRIs of the implants every 2 years to look for a leak, and increased capsular contracture. Single lumen saline implants feel firmer compared to silicone and have the issue of rippling, particularly in a patient with very little breast tissue.The IDEAL implants have the advantages of both implants of the past without the disadvantages! The structuring has improved the feel of the implant and minimized the rippling! They are filled with saline, so if there is a leak, the patient knows by noticing the decrease in volume of the leaking implant. MRIs are not necessary to check the integrity of the the implant. The replacement of the implant is easy because there isn't any free silicone to clean out.My patients love the feel and look of the IDEAL implants!We finally have a breast implant that fits all my criteria for my patients.I strongly believe that any woman desiring breast augmentation should consult with multiple surgeons. Be sure to pick surgeons who have different preferences in implants so you can hear all different sides and make your own informed choice. Definitely consult a surgeon who has experience with the IDEAL implant as part of your research. These implants, in my personal opinion, are the closest we have to the perfect breast implant!

Aysel Sanderson, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

The IDEAL implant: Any opinions?

Thank you for your question.  The new Ideal implant does have a more natural look and feel than traditional saline implants due to the chambers that hold the saline in place.  They feel much more like a silicone implant, but without the concern of an undetected rupture that can happen with silicone gel implants. For many of my patients, they prefer this option as they feel it provides the best of both saline and silicone options.  I have about a dozen women who have opted for this implant thus far, and they are very happy with their result.  I hope this helps.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Implant

I'm very excited about the Ideal Implant- While I don't think it is more or less safe than other breast implants, I do like the much more natural feel that it has over saline implants, and the fact that patients who don't want to get MRIs of their breasts (as the FDA recommends for silicone implants) now have another option for breast implants that feel more natural and ripple less than the saline implants of old.

Ideal implant avoids silicone problems

The Ideal implant is saline filled so it doesn't have the baggage that silicone implants, including Gummy Bears, have.  It feels better and doesn't have ripples like some first generation salines do.  I think it is going to be very popular.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

IDEAL implant

The IDEAL saline implant is manufactured a little differently than a traditional implant by adding in several layers within the shell that are perforated.  The manufacturers claim that this internal "movement" within the implant will help create a more natural look and feel to the implant.  That is the claim.  The results, however, are going to depend on your body type as well as what your desired outcome is. If you desire a larger, more voluminous breast, than an overfilled saline implant will always feel firmer than its silicone counterpart despite the different shell structure.  Saline has a firmer feel than gel does.  If, however, you desire a smaller augmentation, than saline may be a good option for you.  In my practice, most women choose a gel implant because of their longevity and because of their natural feel.  Silicone has been found not to be harmful - it makes up our makeup, deodorants, body lotions, as well as many medical devices.  That being said, some women feel more comfortable with saline.  Both saline and gel are good choices.  However, there are hundreds of different sizes of implants, and it is imperative that you speak to your surgeon to understand what you are looking for and what your anatomy will accommodate.  Your result will depend more on correctly sizing your chest wall to achieve your desired look than it will be on the manufacture of the implant.

There is no ideal breast implant....

Hello Mommytre. I have no experience using the IDEAL breast implant. It is a newly approved device and it is saline filled. It might feel more natural than traditional saline, but not as soft as silicone. The most natural results are achieved with silicone breast implants. I used to have a practice with 100% saline breast implants and now I use 99% of the time silicone. I also exchange a lot of saline for silicone on my previous patients. If you go with a new device, make sure you do your research and choose an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD