The IDEAL implant: Any opinions?

I have changed my mind on getting silicone and would like any input/info that anyone may have on the new, FDA approved IDEAL saline implant. I am very interested due to rhe claims that it has a more 'natural' look than traditional saline, without the worry of possible silicone bleed with the silicone implpants.

#IDEALimplantBenefits

I am an FDA investigator for the IDEAL Implant and have followed my patients annually since first placing them in 2009. In general my patients are extremely happy with their choice. The IDEAL implant is now FDA approved and available in the USA and Canada. It is indeed more natural than traditional saline implants, softer and do not "bounce" as much as your own or silicone implants. Because there is no silicone gel inside there is no chance of silicone bleed. The internal structure controls movement of the saline and its design reduces folding and wrinkling which is thought to be a key cause of implant rupture/deflation. The outer edges are lowered for better contouring to the chest wall. 
MATERIAL

The #IDEALIMPLANT contains no silicone gel,has a natural feel because of its unique design with an internal structure  for optimal shape. The 5 year data indicates a lower capsular contracture rate than most saline or silicone implants available. The peace of mind factor concerning  a silent rupture with silicone implants is significant for many of my patients. Instead of a MRI scan they just need to look in the mirror to know that their implant is intact. 

#IDEALimplantBenefits

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
MATERIAL

Ideal Structured Saline Implants - the closest we have to the "perfect" breast implant

I have been using mostly IDEAL structured saline implants since they became available approximately a year ago (Sept 2015). I have been augmenting breasts since 1991 and have seen every possible long term problem with breast implants over my career. I had always stated that the perfect breast implant does not exist, however the IDEAL implants are as close as it gets to the perfect breast implant. As a female plastic surgeon, I understand the connection of my patients with their breasts at a different level. Patients have always stated that they want the look and feel of their augmented breasts to be natural. The natural looking augmented breast can be achieved with any brand of implant regardless of what the implant is filled with. The dimensions of the patient's breast and the diameter of the implant are the important factors in achieving a natural look. The natural feel is dependent on the amount of "padding" the patient has, ie patient's own natural tissue, as well as, the feel of the implant. In the past, silicone implants felt softer and more natural compared to saline implants, provided the capsule around the implant did not contract. However, there are some negatives with silicone implants: silent rupture requiring MRIs of the implants every 2 years to look for a leak, and increased capsular contracture. Single lumen saline implants feel firmer compared to silicone and have the issue of rippling, particularly in a patient with very little breast tissue.The IDEAL implants have the advantages of both implants of the past without the disadvantages! The structuring has improved the feel of the implant and minimized the rippling! They are filled with saline, so if there is a leak, the patient knows by noticing the decrease in volume of the leaking implant. MRIs are not necessary to check the integrity of the the implant. The replacement of the implant is easy because there isn't any free silicone to clean out.My patients love the feel and look of the IDEAL implants!We finally have a breast implant that fits all my criteria for my patients.I strongly believe that any woman desiring breast augmentation should consult with multiple surgeons. Be sure to pick surgeons who have different preferences in implants so you can hear all different sides and make your own informed choice. Definitely consult a surgeon who has experience with the IDEAL implant as part of your research. These implants, in my personal opinion, are the closest we have to the perfect breast implant!

Aysel Sanderson, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Aysel Sanderson, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Implant

I'm very excited about the Ideal Implant- While I don't think it is more or less safe than other breast implants, I do like the much more natural feel that it has over saline implants, and the fact that patients who don't want to get MRIs of their breasts (as the FDA recommends for silicone implants) now have another option for breast implants that feel more natural and ripple less than the saline implants of old.

Ideal Implant

Ideal implant avoids silicone problems

The Ideal implant is saline filled so it doesn't have the baggage that silicone implants, including Gummy Bears, have.  It feels better and doesn't have ripples like some first generation salines do.  I think it is going to be very popular.

Ideal implant avoids silicone problems

Love them so far

I have been in practice 18 years and have placed 6 or so pair of Ideal implants in the last month.  I think they are a great alternative to silicone, in fact I think these implants could make traditional saline implants obsolete. Jane

Love them so far

Ideal Implant

Dear Mommytre,

The Ideal implant is far superior to the old single-lumen saline implants and they are an equal
for silicone implants and actually have some additional advantages. The first advantage of the
Ideal implant is that a woman always knows her implants are intact simply by looking in the
mirror. If there were a leak, then over 48 hours, she would notice the breasts becoming softer
and smaller. It is sterile saline filling the implant, so it is simply absorbed by the body. With a
silicone implant, a silent leak is not detectable without an imaging study such as an MRI or
possibly mammogram and ultrasound.
The data at six years out now demonstrate a lower hardening rate and a lower leak rate for the
Ideal implant versus the silicone. The Ideal implant has a more nature feel than the old saline
implant because it has multiple chambers in the interior which slow down and baffle the
movement of saline causing it to feel much more natural than the old saline implants.
The one disadvantage is the implant is more expensive to manufacture than the silicone gel and
thus is more expensive. Many of my patients rationalize that by the anticipated lifespan of 20
years and feel the difference in cost is minor.
Both the silicone implants and the Ideal implants have identical excellent warranties, lifelong
replacement for a leaking implant, and also replacement of the opposite side implant at no
charge. That holds for life. In addition, if there is a leak during the first 10 years, funds are
provided by the makers of both implant styles to defray cost of surgery. I hope this has been
helpful.

Article by Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Ideal Implant

Dear Mommytre,

possibly mammogram and ultrasound.
helpful.

Article by Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Opinions on the IDEAL structured saline breast implant

It indeed has a more natural feel than the traditional saline, although not quite as soft as most silicone gel implants.

The ideal implant may be “ideal” for you, if you are concerned about silent rupture of silicone gel implants, but did not like the less natural feel of traditional saline implants.  They are more natural in feel than saline but still not quite as soft as silicone.

The Ideal implant was approved by the FDA in November of 2014, but has only had limited availability until recently.  Initially only the 120 plastic surgeons who were investors in the company had access. They are now starting to release it to more board certified plastic surgeons.  It has a profile similar to a high profile implant.  I would say that it is much more natural in feel than a saline implant, but still not quite as soft and natural as a silicone gel implant.  So my patients that want the most natural feel are still choosing silicone.  The most common implant used in the country is a round smooth silicone gel implant.  And the FDA has shown silicone to be safe and effective.  The FDA recommends in their labeling instructions that you get an MRI 3 years after surgery and every 2 years thereafter to check for a rupture. One analysis in 2014 in the Archives of Plastic Surgery found that

silent ruptures occurred in 9-12 percent of cases eight years after implantation. In a silent rupture, the outer shell of the implant can rupture, but the cohesive gel stays inside the scar

tissue capsule that has formed around the implant. SO there may be no visible or palpable change in the

breast- the rupture is silent. Is it harmful-

no

- in the short run not much is seen. Over years the silicone

can cause some irritation of the local capsule and thickening. But if we

know the implant is ruptured we generally like to replace it.

A saline implant had the advantage of being much easier to tell if it has leaked.  You can “look in the mirror” and tell if it is intact.  When it leaks, the saline is absorbed and the shell goes flat.  The American Society for Aesthetic plastic surgery, in 2014, reported that 20% of breast augmentations used saline implants.  But they do not feel as natural-some patients describe them as being like a water balloon, and they are prone to palpable and visible rippling and wrinkles. A recent survey of 300 patients by Allergan showed that 52% of patients were fearful of silent ruptures, with 45% being concerned that despite the science and FDA saying silicone gel is safe and effective it is still a foreign substance, and 34% of patients having a fear of silicone all together. 

So the Ideal structure saline implant will be a good option for some patients that like the idea of a more natural feel than saline with the advantages of being easier to detect a rupture.  The Ideal implant has two chambers and if one leaks it will lose volume that is harmlessly absorbed by the body.  If I had to predict I would guess that the majority of patients will still use silicone gel implants prioritizing the natural feel, but an increasing number of ideal structured implants will be used in patients that are concerned about silent rupture but didn’t like the feel of the traditional saline implant.

It is a small company, and warranty concerns are valid- but I would be surprised if they are not purchased by one of the larger main implant companies in the future. The 6 year data shows a lower failure rate that the other silicone and saline implants currently on the market, including the highly cohesive “gummy bear” implants. No 10 year data yet- the study will not be completed until 2019.  But the 6 year data looks good so far. 

no

The IDEAL implant

I believe that the IDEAL implant provides a good option for women considering breast augmentation.  Traditional saline implants have the problem of being too firm, or having visible wrinkling along the edges of the implant.  I think that both of these problems are significantly reduced, or even eliminated in some cases with the IDEAL implant.  I think that when you compare the IDEAL implant to a silicone implant under the skin you would have a very difficult time determining which is which.  Additionally, patients with saline filled implants do not need to get MRI screenings every several years to check for possible rupture.  For a patient that is concerned about silicone implants (even though these devices have been proven to be very safe), the IDEAL implant offers a great option.  I would recommend talking to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who offers several different kinds of implants so you can compare the pros and cons for yourself.  Best of luck!

The IDEAL implant

Ideal Implants offer many advantages

The Ideal Implant is a new class of implants called Structured Saline Implants.   Compared to traditional saline implants, which have a single layered outer shell, the structured saline ideal implants, have multiple shells or layers providing a more natural structure to the traditional saline implant.

This is a game changer in many ways.    The layered shells eliminate the wrinkling or rippling that is so problematic with traditional saline.   In addition, the implants look and feel the same as a silicone cohesive gel implant that we commonly use today.    I often place both implants under a cloth towel and ask the patients to differentiate the silicone from the structured saline ideal implant.   Unanimously, patients cannot feel or see a difference.   Hence, in clothing, the look and feel of these ideal implants replicates silicone implants, and it does not wrinkle or ripple, as traditional saline implants do.

Lastly, many women will find comfort in not having to worry if their silicone implant is ruptured, or having to spend money every 2 years to obtain an MRI to test their implants.  With saline implants, the deflation is immediate and obvious to the patient, making it easier to address the rupture and lessen patient anxiety.   Plus, the saline fluid that constitutes your implant is the same saline fluid used when a patient gets iv fluids.   Hence, your body absorbs it quickly and immediately.   

Ideal Implants offer many advantages

IDEAL Implant

The IDEAL implant is a very nice and well-studied saline implant.  Yes, it has a much better feel than traditional saline implants.    Find a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in cosmetic breast surgery to give you all the options for your breast augmentation - know before you go!

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

IDEAL Implant

Rod J. Rohrich, MD