Is Ultherapy right for a 30 year old with chubby cheeks?

I've had my buccal fat pads removed but still have very full lower cheeks that refuse to lose any weight. Will Ultherapy tighten my skin enough to pull back my chubby lower cheeks?

Doctor Answers 6


Thanks for your question.Yes, Ultherapy could be used in this area to help tighten up the skin.However since you have already had surgery in this area, the results from Ultherapy will be subtle in comparison to surgery.I would actually recommend the possibility of a mini-facelift in this area to get more optimal results.My suggestion is to schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can give you some good options.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Ultherapy for Chubby Cheeks

Thanks for your question.You may get some significant skin tightening with Ultherapy, but it may not be as much as what you are expecting given the fact that you’ve already had surgery to correct the area.Most likely, some sort of mini facelift would probably give you better results.Ultherapy is a good modality and results are significant, but they are much more subtle than what you can expect with surgery.I would suggest a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what the best course of action would be.I hope this is helpful.Best of luck!

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Ultherapy may or may not help chubby cheeks

There are sometimes multiple reasons for someone to have chubby cheeks.  It may be an inherited condition and facial liposuction may help. If it is sagging that lowered mid face fat into the lower cheek compartment than a face lift may help. ThermiTight and Ultherapy may help raise a chubby cheek but a patient has to be evaluated in person to determine if they are an appropriate candidate. In addition, some patients, especially those who chronically grind their teeth may have overworked their cheek muscles and this can be improved by seeing both a dentist and having a dermatologist or other specialist, inject Botox into these muscles.

See a board certified physician who deals extensively with this condition and who does many different procedures so they know what's best for you.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Ultherapy for chubby cheeks

In my office I have found that Ultherapy does not give consistent good results on 'chubby cheeks'.  Not having a photo to share I can't be specific in your case.  The two clinical changes that we feel are a contraindication for Ultherapy treatments to the lower face and neck are heavy, 'chubby' cheeks and jowls and patients who have lost the ability to make healthy collagen.  Collagen production starts diminishing after age 25 and is very slow in many people over the age of 60-65.   This is important to know and understand as the tightening effect shown with Ultherapy is due to collagen denaturing and replacement and the ability for newer tighter collagen to be able to lift the treated areas. If you are not making good collagen and if you have particularly heavy cheeks, the outcomes are usually less than ideal.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Ultherapy for chubby cheeks

It's difficult to make an assessment without photos, or better yet an examination. It is possible that the lift you would get from the treatment may be enough to correct your concerns. An in person consultation would be ideal. Best of luck.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Chubby cheeks and ultherapy

Unfortunately we don't know any thing about you or the procedure you had done and especially since you did not post any pictures, its not possible to answer your question. I recommend you seek a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.