HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound) Ultherapy for fat reduction 13.0mm transducer? (photos)

Dear Docs, I was told by an Ultherapy technician that the 13.0mm version of Ultherapy can help with double chin fat reduction, not just tightening. Could this be true? This is what I'm dealing with (photos). I am kind of scrunching my chin in the pics to show how it's starting to sag. I'm not wanting to do liposuction it just seems invasive and Kybella being a foreign product, I am not sure I want it in my body.

Ultherapy and transducers- fat reduction

Like the US, Australia only has the 1.5, 3 and 4.5 mm transducer. A 13 mm transducer can cause some serious irreversible damage in many areas! wow. 

Ultherapy will not help with this problem- it tightens skin, and does not reduce fat. You maybe a candidate for mini-coolsculpting, or injectables. SculpSure is off label, I don't like to use it in this area. Chin lips? I don't think you have enough fat in that area, but an assessment may prove my judgement as wrong .

See a board certified Plastics or Dermatologist, and please, don't try to undertake initiation Ultherapy treatments ,

All the best, Dr Davin Lim
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound) Ultherapy for fat reduction 13.0mm transducer?

Ulthera® laser transducers are made in 1.5mm/3.0mm/4.5mm sizes. Please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.  

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

Ultherapy doesn't decrease fat in the area it only tightens skin. there is no evidence of this from any study.  I suggest VASER/thermi combination in younger patients or considering kybella.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Ultherapy For Fat Reduction

I have not heard of an Ultherapy 13mm transducer being released and FDA approved in the United States for fat reduction. Are you sure it wasn't the 4.5mm or that you weren't treated with a knock-off machine? Nonetheless, there are better options for fat reduction of the double chin including CoolSculpting CoolMini, ThermiTight and Kybella.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Ultherapy for fat reduction

To my knowledge the Ultherapy 13-mm fat reduction head has not been released in the U.S.A., but if not it is likely coming soon. 

Kybella is a very safe product that breaks up the fat cells. After 15-30 minutes the fat cells are completely broken up, although it takes weeks for the fatty acids to leave the area. I would highly recommend this product for use under the chin.

Both treatments only focus on fatty deposits that are in FRONT of the platysmal muscle. One must be evaluated by a Physician to determine if they are a good candidate.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin reduction with Ultherapy

The 1.5 mm transducer will not help with chin reduction.

A plastic surgeon will sculpt this area for you in the office setting using tumescent anesthesia. 

Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member