Why do I feel like my lip fillers have disappeared? (Photo)

I had Juvederm injected on my lips 3 weeks ago.I had absoultley loved the results I had in the first two weeks, but now I feel like I got my old lips back.

Lip Filler

Hi there! Lips can stay swollen from injections for a couple weeks’ post injection. It sounds like you really liked the bigger pout and fuller appearance of the lips from the swelling. If that is the case, it may just mean that need to have more filler injected to get the result you desire – of course without looking unnatural! Enjoy!

Lip Filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lip augmentation

If the picture to the right is what your lips look like now, I would say that your lips look like they have had augmentation. I would follow up with your injector if you feel they have returned to pre treatment appearance.

Lip augmentation

Lips Injections with Juvederm

In the immediate period up to 2 weeks, the lips are swollen from injections themselves and results appear to be more than they will be.  Sometimes one syringe is not enough and clients can require several syringes for optimal results. In general, it is advisable not to exceed more than 1.5 ml per lip.  Also the precise location of the injections can make a difference. Finally some people metabolize the product faster than others.  It is important to take pictures and have realistic expectations from these procedures

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lips Injections with Juvederm

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lip injections

The look for the first two weeks after lip injections is exaggerated due to swelling of the area.  After two weeks, the majority of the swelling will have subsided and you will see the results.  It may be that you need more product to achieve the look you desire.  Since it has been over two weeks since your treatment, now is a safe time to have more injected.

Lip injections

Lips

The lips for the first few weeks are swollen.  So some of the volume that you liked in the beginning is actually just swelling. The filler is still there, but it may not be enough for the appearance that you want.  If you would like to recreate that appearance of volume then you need to add more filler.  Enjoy your beautiful new lips!

Lips

#lipinjections #lipaugmentation

Hi Lola,

Juvederm swells more than any other filler. We get used to the swollen phase but then when it subsides, we feel like it all went away when in reality, its still there but not swollen. Your pictures show a nice result, its always easy to add more as well.  But great question as we get this a lot.

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 
Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

#lipinjections #lipaugmentation

Hi Lola,

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS
Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Lip filler

Thank you for your question. Lips can stay swollen from injections for about two weeks. Therefore, it sounds like you liked the fuller appearance of the lips from the swelling. Therefore, it appears you just need to have more filler injected to get the result you desire. 

Lip filler

Did my Juvederm disappear after 3 weeks?

Hello lolajunkie,

Thank you for sharing your photos and question. The photo marked as "right after injection" appears to be the result of both filler and swelling. Swelling post lip augmentation is quite common and can be expected to resolve within two weeks as you have seen in your case. There is filler/result noted in the "now" photo however if the immediate post injection look is that which you are striving for now would be a good time to return to your injector, discuss your wants and add more filler to achieve this result. Be well. 

Hello lolajunkie,

Lip filler goes away fast

Some people will metabolize filler faster than others. In reality, your filler is still there and there is some improvements noted in the pictures. Swelling after the procedure leads to some becoming disappointed when it subsides. Add more if you want more fullness.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip filler goes away fast

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling after Lip Injections

Thank you for your question. The lips and around the eyes tend to swell a lot with filler placement. The swelling can last a couple weeks. Now that it has dissipated, your lips are likely more full than when you first started, but couple potentially use some additional plumping. I would suggest going back to see your injector for additional filler - in most patients the results last approximately 6-9 months depending on the product used. Some patients tend to metabolize products quicker, and these patients may be better candidates for more permanent fillers like fat. Best of luck! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Lip Injections

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon