Co2 Laser resurfacing dissolves fillers?

I have had Juvederm injected into the tip and columella of my nose 2 months ago. I have just had a Co2 Laser done on my nose, I feel like the filler has dissolved, is this possible?

Dear Phillippe212,
Thank you so much for your question. It is unlikely that the CO2 laser will have any detrimental effect on you previous filler injection. The swelling that can occur in your face and nose may temporarily distort your nose and may mask the effect of the filler. You should return to "normal" as your laser heals.
Best wishes during your recovery.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Lasers and fillers

A common question in our practice is how soon after a filler treatment can they undergo a laser procedure or vice versa.  The majority of filler is injected into a deep dermal or subcutaneous plane depending on what filler you are using in what area.  The depth of a CO2 laser will not reach this when being used for facial resurfacing.  Much more likely is that the swelling caused by the treatment make the results from your filler treatment less perceptible.  The results from the filler should return as the swelling dissipates.  

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers and fillers

Thank you for asking about your Juvederm.

Lasers do not tend to dissolve fillers.
The most likely explanation is that swelling of the nose from the laser has made the filler temporarily disappear under the swelling.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Lasers and Dissolving Fillers

Your question is one that I get asked a lot.  Lasers do not dissolve fillers.  The lasers do not penetrate deeply enough to dissolve fillers which are injected into the dermis.  You can safely have your fillers done and lasers without any side effect of affecting your facial injections.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with lasers and cosmetic injections.

CO2 and fillers

CO2 laser generally does not go more than a millimeter into the skin. Filler, on the other hand, is injected considerably deeper. The laser should not have a direct impact on the filler. The inflammation associated with CO2 could cause filler to migrate, but the effect should be minimal. I would give it time for the inflammation to resolve, and you may see that everything looks great.

Laser and Fillers

It is very unlikely that laser resurfacing, even a deep laser will remove enough filler to be noticeable. I have done this for 20 years initially with CO2 and for the last 10 years with Contour Erbium and I have never noticed. Laser only gets very slightly into the dermis were the filler sits.

Daniel Lanzer, MBBS
Melbourne Dermatologist

Laser can eliminate some of your filler

Since the fillers and laser treatments are in overlapping areas of the skin it is possible to have some of the filler removed via the laser.   It is best to do the dermabrasion or laser treatments first and then do the filler later.    My Best,  Dr C

Filler Dissolved after CO2

Hi Philippe.  Yes, this is definitely possible and we warn our patients about it.  If you get a deep resurfacing, (more than 200 microns) then you may be in the same level of the skin that dermal fillers are injected.  It really depends on how deep the filler was injected and how deep the resurfacing was performed, but it's certainly possible.  

The end result if this is the case is that you would need to redo the fillers. To see examples of injection treatments for nose shaping in Los Angeles, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

CO2 and filler

Hi!  It's unlikely.  Most CO2 systems only penetrate to the deep epidermis and your filler is much deeper than this. 

There are a few CO2 lasers that do penetrate to the dermis (i.e. DeepFx), but their "fractional" beams are spaced out widely.  Even using the most aggressive settings (i.e. like we would with a burn patient), you're still only getting down into the deep dermis with laser columns spaced out far away from one-another.

I don't know what you had done, but it's very unlikely that your laser procedure dissolved your filler.  At worst, you may have poked a few holes in it - but even that is unlikely.

J. Matthew Knight, MD
Orlando Dermatologic Surgeon