Another Botox Question: Bathing and Washing the Face the Day of Botox

I plan on getting Botox in the early afternoon. Would it be fine, by nightfall, to take a hot shower (my usual routine)? Also, how do you recommend cleansing the face after Botox? In the sink or shower okay? Also, is warm water okay? Please advise. Thanks.

Getting Ready for Botox

Botox is a purified protein produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium. The product temporarily blocks the transmission of nerve impulses to the muscles; reducing the activity in these muscles thus decreasing the appearance of lines/wrinkles. Cleansing your face on the day of treatment will in no way affect the outcome of your treatment.

#Botoxtreatments   #afterBotox  #skinafterBotox

Post Botox Activities

You should be able to return to your normal daily routine, including exercise, cleansing face, showering with hot water, etc. without 1.5 hours.  Take care not to stand in the hot shower too long or bump your injection sites so as to minimize bruising or swelling. As long as you are treated by a licensed and trained injector such as a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist, you should be fine. 

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Instructions after Botox

These are excellent questions.  You should feel free to continue your normal cleansing routines as long as you understand the following:

After care instructions for Botox are designed to further minimize the already small chance of bruising: avoid aspirin and ibuprofen, heavy exercise and anything else that makes you hot and red (note: a long hot shower or time in the sauna can cause dilation of the vessels).  

Botox aftercare instructions

Thank you for your question cici99fromcali. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as those between the brow seen when one frowns. After a Botox treatment I recommend that my patients avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after the treatment. I recommend to them that gentle washing with cold or tepid water is ok, but to avoid hot showers for 24 hours. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Can washing or make up affect Botox

Normal routine activités should not affect your Botox result. Especially after an hour or so. Hope this helps.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bathing and washing your face after a Botox treatment.

Many patients who come to our clinic want to know if they can bathe after a Botox procedure. The good news is that you can wash your face and bathe as you routinely would, and it won't affect your Botox treatment or your results.

I would, however, recommend you avoid massaging the treated areas, exercising or lying flat for the first 2 hours after your treatment. The day after Botox injections you can resume all activities.

Anil Sharma, MD
Edmonton Otolaryngologist

Botox Injections

Great question! There are no studies that have shown one way or another that post treatment activities like washing your face are safe or harmful. In my practice we usually tell patients that it's safe to wash your face after Botox injections.Warm water is fine and using a gentle cleanser is also not a problem. There are however always exceptions to the rule; for instance if you have had significant amount of Botox and filers you may receive different post-injection instructions from your physician. Botox injections are generally very safe, so my patients are normally able to resume their daily routines immediately.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Cleansing the Day of Botox Injections

Botox is a purified protein produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium. The product temporarily blocks the transmission of nerve impulses to the muscles; reducing the activity in these muscles thus decreasing the appearance of lines/wrinkles.   Cleansing your face on the day of treatment will in no way affect the outcome of your treatment.

#Botoxresults    #wrinklefree    #Botoxfacetreatment

Bathing After Botox

It is completely fine to wash your face and shower after your Botox treatment. Warm water will not have an effect on your results.

Botox after care

Thank you for your question. I typically focus my aftercare on restricting activities that make you hot, sweaty or flushed: Examples include strenuous activities, alcohol, saunas, hot baths, etc… This will increase your chance of bruising. If no bruising, by the next day, the you should be good to go. If there is, then I recommend another day to make sure the bruise is not getting worse. I am not as worried about the not laying down after four hours.