Alopecia after Kybella. Should I be as freaked out by this as I am?

I had my first Kybella treatment about 2.5 weeks ago and yesterday I realized that my beard has really noticeable patches in it around the injection site. I was warned by the injector that "some" hair loss was a possible side but this just looks awful. I look like I have mange. I'm going to have to ditch my bearded look and go clean shaven.  How long does something like this normally last? Finally, is there anything I can do to stimulate growth?

Hair loss & Kybella

So sorry that you are experiencing this, but can be a side effect of Kybella. Thankfully, it is temporary. Having said that, it may take a few months to fully resolve so you'll need to go clean shaven in the meantime. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

The hair loss associated with Kybella should be temporary

Although I have not experienced this personally with any of my Kybella patients, hair loss associated with Kybella treatment is supposed to be temporary. Until it grows back, I recommend shaving the area so the hair loss is not as noticeable. If the alopecia persists more than 6-8 weeks following your last Kybella treatment, I recommend contacting the provider that administered your Kybella or having a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist to discuss treatment options for the alopecia.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss after Kybella

Thanks for your question.  Hair loss in the areas treated by Kybella is one of the potential risks.  Fortunately, this should be temporary.  You should start to see regrowth in several months.  You might need to go with the clean shave look for a little while.  Hopefully your neck line is improving and you will be able to show off your results.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Hair Loss after Kybella NYC

Kybella is a fantastic treatment for reducing submental fat.  There are some cases of temporary hair loss from the procedure in the beard area.  I would recommend shaving the area in the meanwhile.  The hair should grow back in a few months.  Best, Dr. Green

Hello Ota457,

I would reiterate what the other responder said.  This should just be temporary.  It does take a little time for the hair to grow back.  Since Kybella is a series of treatments, you might consider shaving that part of the treatment area so you don't have a patchy hair pattern.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after Kybella

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry you are experiencing this - but, the "good" news is that although this can happen, the effects are temporary. However, due to how the Kybella works, and the natural hair cycle, some studies have stated that it may take up to 4 months to go back to "normal." Most of the time, things start to return to normal by week 6, but I would just expect that it may take some time to go back to normal and plan your look accordingly. If you are very concerned, I would suggest re-visiting your Plastic Surgeon - especially since most patients require more than one treatment to obtain their desired results. Best of luck!