Are there any additional risks or complications associated with Power-Assisted Liposuction?

Are any risks higher with PAL than they are with traditional lipo?

Power Assisted Liposuction

PAL is a faster method of liposuction, but more controllable and accurate I believe. I think the results are better, smoother and more consistent. I do not believe the risks are higher than traditional liposuction. PAL is better! Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

Fewer complications I'd say

Power assisted liposuction doesn't generate heat like other types, so thermal complications are minimized.  However, I find PAL allows me a finer touch when performing liposuction because I don't need to generate force with my arm.  This allows me to be more precise when removing fat and yielding a smoother result.  This is only my experience however and what is most important is the skill of the doctor.

Guy Cappuccino, MD
Mount Airy Plastic Surgeon

PAL similar to standard Liposuction

Thanks for your question. Power-assisted liposuction differs from "standard" liposuction in that it vibrates to help break up the fat cells that are being suctioned. Unlike some other types of liposuction, there is no heat generated and so the complications should be similar.

Are there additional risks specific to PAL

In comparison to traditional SAL, there are no additional risks that are specific to PAL. It's a great question because some liposuction variants generate heat, and the use of these technologies has been associated with a higher risk of skin injury, scarring, contour deformities and re-operation.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Risks with Power assisted liposuction

The use of power assist is a more efficient way of removing fat allowing the surgeon to focus more on contouring. Compared to traditional liposuction , the risks with PAL are not greater. The risks with liposuction in general has to do more with the experience of the surgeon. Therefore, it is important to see a board certified plastic surgeon  who performs many body contouring procedures. I personally prefer the use of PAL over conventional liposuction when performing pure liposuction procedures on my patients.Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Hi

power assisted liposuction procedure that involves removing fatty deposits from different areas of the body, assisted by a computer generated nutational motion of the liposuction cannula (in several directions) Nutational Infrasonic Liposuction (NIL), which reduces the “trauma” in tissues the time of liposuction, and thus postoperative pain, ecchymosis (purple spots on the skin) and inflammation (edema) of the skin. Besides failing to generate heat in liposuction cannulas, decreases the possibility of skin burns which may generate other types of equipment used in lipolysis.

I hope the information has been helpful,

sincerely
Dr. Eduardo Orozco

Eduardo Orozco, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon