I had 2 Vials of Sculptra for a 50 year old and not seeing results so far. Any suggestions?

It's been well over 3 months since I got 2 vials of sculptra at once. I am 50 years old and very athletic, with thin angular face. I have hollows under my cheekbones that I wanted to address. I see very little, if no, improvement and am wondering if sculptra is just bad for me or if I need more. I am also considering Ultherapy but have heard some horror stories.

Sculptra

Sculptra is a great volumizing product that can create natural soft results with actual improvement to the skin texture. However, it is very expensive and therefore patients frequently don't realize the total cost to enhance a hollow face.  Although you have not provided photos, thin, athletic, or hollowed faces typically need 2 to 3 vials to start, with the same amount in a second session. In many, a third session is necessary. 

Ulthera is a device that is supposed to tighten skin. Unfortunately, not only are the results minimal at best, it can also cause fat resorption, something you don't want. I would use the money on the Sculptra.

One treatment with Sculptra won't show results

Think of Sculptra as adding structural support. 2 vials is just the beginning. You should need a total of 5 or 6. I wouldn't expect to see much and in fact only about 25% will see anything after their first treatment. When you blow up an air mattress, the beginning is a lot of blowing without much improvement in filling, then later it takes very little to see a lot of improvement. Sculptra is a volumizer unlike any other filler. It is very robust, much more so than HA fillers. Ulthera will tighten but not give volume. Using both is ideal.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra

At age 50 - you may need additional vials of Sculptra to achieve optimal correction. Treatment with Sculptra usually requires injecting one to two vials every 4-6 weeks until the desired effect is achieved. The desired effect is dependent upon your cells’ ability to respond to the poly-L lactic acid bead. Once desired outcome is achieved, the patient can expect the results to last 2-3 years.

Lisa Airan, MD

Sculptra results

Sculptra is one of the most cost-effective non surgical ways to volumize and sculpt the face.   It is really hard to see what this can do with just one treatment, however. I would highly encourage you to do a second and third treatment before assessing. If you have a very thin face, you may even need a fourth session. Once you get the results you're looking for, however, it should last for a long time since this is forming collagen.   I would definitely make sure that you have an experienced sc injector to guide you through this journey. 

Sculptra and Results

Sculptra is a fabulous product but it can take several treatments to have the desired results.  It generally takes three series of injections spaced one month apart to volumize a given patient.  Some physicians inject one vial and some two vials at time depending on the amount of facial hollowing.  If you want an immediate lift, I would suggest you look into Voluma injections.  I also prefer Thermage to Ulthera for both results and because Thermage is pain free.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic procedures.

Number of Sculptra Treatments

Sculptra is a terrific product for facial rejuvenation.  The product uses vials of poly-lactic acid to restore facial volume that is diminished as one ages.  The number of vials required for optimal rejuvenation varies from person to person.  Typically, a minimal of 3-4 vials is recommended.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

How Many Sculptra Vials

Hi DR.  We use a general rule of thumb for Sculptra called "Decade Dosing".  This means that you would need 1 vial for every decade of life so far.  Given that estimating tool, it's likely you would need 6 vials of Sculptra over a six month period.  This is especially true for athletic patients with thin frames and faces.

We are not big believers in Ultherapy for skin tightening as results tend to be very transient (3-6 months) and are very subtle.  

To see an example of a very thin Los Angeles patient that had 5 vials over 6 months, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

You are on the right track.

The results after Sculptra are sometimes difficult appreciate because the volume correction is a slow process and happens right in front of your eyes. If you see yourself every day in the mirror you get use to your new look and cant see the results. Comparison of clinical photography’s is the best way to evaluate.

Ideally you should have another 2 vials treatment six weeks after the first one and than reevaluate at 6 months after the beginning of the therapy.

With very few exceptions I don’t recommend the use of less than 2 vials of Sculptra per treatment session. In thin faces the optimum number of vials can be between for and six.

Stay away form Ultherapy in thin faces not only is waist of money but also can cause localize loss of volume, which is difficult to correct. In the best-case scenario you will see little or no results. It’s also painful unless performed under sedation or total facial block. Ulthera to day is often use by doctors with little or no qualifications. Check your doctor’s credentials and education.

If you disregard my opinion of Ultherapy at lease do not have the treatment for at least 6 months after the last Sculptra injection to avoid complications.

Summary:
Continue Sculptra treatments and avoid Ultherapy.
The other way to achieve volume restoration is fat injections they compliment Sculptra and if used after Sculptra treatment do not increase the chance for complications or side effects.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Best Sculptra And Ultherapy Results LA

Hi Dragon,

Sculptra volume correction is directly related to how many treatments you have.   Usually two vials are used during the first treatment.  6 to 8 weeks later you should be reevaluated for more treatment. In a 50-year-old I would predict you would need about three sessions using 5 to 6 vials to get optimal volume correction.  After the first treatment with two vials approximately 50% of patients see some improvement while  the other 50% do not. The first treatment of sculptors sets the foundation for future treatments.   After the second treatment with sculptra approximately 85 to 95% of patients see improvement. 

I have personally treated hundreds of patients over the past four years with both sculpturaand ultherapy.  Ultherapy is an excellent combination to use with sculptress to get optimal facial rejuvenation. I am well aware of The reports of adverse reactions. I personally have not seen any of these problems with all Ultherapy. 

As with any cosmetic procedure, it is essential that you choose your treating physician most carefully. It is the combination of artistic vision and skillful use of the products and devices  that results in the best Aesthetic outcomes. Good luck and be well. 

Michael Persky, MD
Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

No results seen after Sculptra

In order to obtain lasting results with Sculptra, normally several treatment sessions are required.  Sculptra is a stimulating agent that gradually leads to improvement.  Most people do not notice a significant change after only one treatment session.  Ultherapy is a completely different treatment and does not add volume.  It can produce some lifting effect though.  The combination of fillers and Ultherapy is not uncommon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon