I have indent in back of jowl, near jawline. Would Sculptra work? (photos)

I've had fillers in my front cheeks, however it seemed to pronounce the hollowness near the back/sides near my jawline. Is it typical to fill this indent area side/back near jawline? What filler would be best? And is there a name for this area? (it seems every consultation I go to the Drs wants to fill the front of my face--which I do not need)--Thanks!

Hollowness in the posterior jawline

Yes, it is typical to fill this area in the posterior jawline (or mandibular angle) and preauricular with Sculptra. This hollowing occurs quite frequently when Voluma is injected in the cheeks and Juvederm is injected in the nasolabial folds (smile lines) and marionette lines. I find myself having to correct this problem quite frequently. 

Yes and more pics

Short answer to your question is I think that is an excellent spot for Sculptra. It's off label in that particular area so make sure you consult with someone who does Sculptra a good deal. Sculptra is very different from other "gel" fillers or Radiesse. You want someone who has done hundreds of injections. Perhaps a Perlane or Voluma would also work in that area. Your one picture does not give me a great "3D" sense of the entire area of cosmetic concern. But again, short answer is Yes....Sculptra could work well there. 

Steven R. Mobley, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Indentations on JawLine -- Fillers Like Sculptra, Radiesse, Voluma/Perlane

you can put any times of fillers here, sculptra will stimulate collagen more long term and give lift, the other fillers will be used for immediate volume and contour.  I like bellafill as well for this, similar to sculptra.  This is more about shaping and lifting, and not line filling. So please see a facial rejuvenation expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Perfect place for Sculptra: Jawline, Preauricular Area

Yes, attention needs to be made to the entire face.  The area you complain about can be filled with Sculptra easily. I routinely fill the back of the jaw area and in front of the ear with Sculptra.  This pulls things back a little and lifts skin around the jawline.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra for your jawline

Based on the your photo, I do believe that Sculptra would provide a great option to balance out filling the front of the face with more volume along the jawline and side of the face.  I know many practices where they focus solely on the front of the face as they don't have the tools to go beyond this region.  I would look for a board certified plastic surgeon who is well versed in Sculptra.

Indentation and Proper Filler Choice

Facial indentations are a common complaint and an area that many patients come to my office to fill.  An in person consultation would be best but it appears that either Voluma or Sculptra can help you with this area.  Sculptra is a gradual process of producing collagen in given area over weeks and generally requires several treatment sessions.  Voluma produces an immediate lift in that area area may be easier for you that it only requires one visit.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with cosmetic facial injections for the best results. 

Sculptra may be the filler for you

Sculptra® works well for this area.  It provides the volume, soft contours and lift needed for a natural look.  However other fillers in the right hands may equally provide the same result. As always seek a well trained board certified physician. 

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD

I might consider VOLUMA instead since it is only one or two sessions vs Sculptura could be many sessions.