How Long Should I Wait to Have Sex After Breast Augmentation Surgery?

I last did on day 6 post-op and was told I'm supposed to wait after 2 weeks (for fear of stirring up unwanted bleeding). I'd like to have second opinions on this. Thanks!

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to specific instructions in regards to returning to activities. Generally speaking, best to limit strenuous activity for at least 2 weeks after breast augmentation surgery, assuming you are doing well and there have been no complications. Care should be taken during the first one to two weeks after surgery not to allow for elevation of heart rate, blood pressure, and/or direct trauma/contact to the chest wall.  

Assuming you are well-healed, I think that direct (and gentle) manipulation of your breasts will  likely be safe around six week post op. Best to "proceed with caution" and listen to your body as you gradually resume full activity...

Again, address your specific questions/concerns to your plastic surgeon, who knows your situation best, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes.

You should be ready to return to sexual activity not earlier than 2 weeks, if you feel comfortable. Intimate contact with breast should be avoided until healing is fully completed, that usually means 6 weeks.
There may be some specific details of your specific post-operative regiment, which should be clarified with your own plastic surgeon.

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Sex after BA

Your plastic surgeon will give you the best answer in your specific case about this and sex. For most of my patients I allow sex to begin at 6 weeks with the woman on top to minimize the risk of trauma. Here are some of the guidelines I give my patients following breast reduction: Following surgery, you will be walking in a bent-over position to keep tension off the newly tightened skin incision site. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than twenty pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and improvement of shape may take several months to a year or more. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more – please discuss with your doctor for specific questions.

#breastaugmentation
#sexaftersurgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Sex after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I generally recommend waiting until all the swelling is down before engaging in sexual activity. So typically two weeks would be fine. However, I would not recommend a lot breast manipulation as part of your sexual activities until you are closer to six weeks.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Depends on activity

You will be able to resume sexual activities after three weeks or so, although you may have to wait longer if it is more physically demanding. The key is to take it slowly at first then increase in intensity. Listen to your body.

However, having said that, it's better to ask your surgeon for their advice.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

How long for sex after breast augmentation?

I am a little confused. You were told to wait 2 weeks (14 days) and you didn't listen and then had sex at 6 days and now you are looking for a second opinion; is that correct. I advise my patients to wait approximately 2 weeks but that also depends on how vigorous or strenuous that activity can be.