How Long Do I Have to Sleep on my Back After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation on February 9th 2012 400CC / silicone / under the muscle / incision around areola. No problems at all, no pain and i feel great! I normally sleep on my side so, it has been hard to stay sleeping the whole night on my back. When is it safe to start sleeping on my side or on my stomach? I worry that if i try sleeping on my side or stomach I might wake up with the implants towards one side, capsulated, deform or even pop it. Could it be painful if i try another position?

Sleeping after a breast augmentation

I tell my patients to sleep on their back for at least 6 weeks after a breast augmentation to prevent deformation of the implant and the scar capsule that is forming around the implant during that time. I tell my patients not to sleep on their stomach ever because I believe that position leads to drooping appearance of the breast. Also most women tell me it is a bit uncomfortable to sleep prone after a breast augmentation anyway.

The other reason to sleep on your back is that you will get fewer wrinkles on your face.  Lay on your side with and hand held mirror and look at your face when you are lying on your side and you will see more wrinkles than you want.  Also sleeping on your side tend to increase the wrinkling of the skin of your chest.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sleep on side or back

I generally recommend that patients sleep on their side or back initially, while wearing a good bra that provides support. This should be done throughout the first eight weeks of your recovery. Doing so prevents the implants from being displaced by falling to the sides or "bottoming out". However, it's best to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Sleeping after breast augmentation

Studies have shown that sleeping positions can affect the shape of your breasts, whether you have implants or not.  Typically, this is present with side sleeping and with how your arm on the 'down' side typically cups the breast.  

Nevertheless, studies have also shown the dangers of not sleeping.  Because of this, I typically recommend to patients that they sleep on their back ideally, ... but, I allow patients to sleep on their side if they cannot sleep on their back.  I recommend a pillow to help make sure the patient does not turn onto their stomach and I also recommend switching sides if possible.  Stomach sleeping is definitely not recommended.  It can negatively affect breast shape, facial aging, and can also put the neck in poor positions and cause serious cervical issues.  

Justin M. Jones, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping After A Breast Augmentation

As I answer this, you are 5 weeks after surgery. I prefer that my patients sleep on their backs for the first 3-4 weeks. I then allow them to sleep on their sides as comfort allows. They then progress to sleeping on their abdomens from there as comfort allows as well. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon as they may proceed at a different pace. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks on your back after breast augmentation surgery is fine and the norm. After 3 weeks, most patients do well laying on their side and using pillows for comfort. Sleeping on your side before 3 weeks is usually pretty uncomfortable and could cause shifting of the implant before it heals correctly. 

Stanley Castor, MD

Sleeping on your back after breast augmentation

Most plastic surgeons recommend sleeping on your back for at least a few weeks after breast augmentation to prevent changes to formation of the capsule. By 3-4 weeks the capsule is well-formed and unlikely to change based on sleep position. However, I would ask your specific plastic surgeon what his/her preference is, as it is always best to follow the advice of the surgeon that did your procedure.

I hope this helps!

Sleeping position after breast augmentation

Sleeping in a position that you would not naturally sleep in is difficult. After breast augmentation the breast implant becomes surrounded by a capsule (or scar tissue) and during the first 4-6 weeks the position of this capsule can be influenced by outside forces such as activity, sleeping position, and brassieres. Plastic surgeons try to give advice to their patients for best results. I suggest to my patients that they sleep on their backs for 6 weeks. Sleeping on your back keeps you from placing asymmetrical forces on your healing tissues during the crucial healing period. 

Rachel Streu, MD

Don't worry too much about it.  You are not going to move the implants by lying on them, especially after 3-4 weeks when the capsule is well developed.   

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Build a nest for your new chest!

Generally, unless otherwise directed, sleeping on your implants with direct pressure on the breast and implant should be avoided for approximately 6 weeks. I am ok with side sleeping and even sleeping on your stomach.  On your stomach, you can build a nest for your new chest and keep pressure off the implants and should be fine :) 

Timing of Sleep on Back After Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her preferences for postoperative care. The norm is 3 to 6 weeks depending on how the patient heals. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS