I had breast augmentation done this past Monday, so im 6 days post-op, my right seems like its almost healed and not much pain at all but my left breast is still very painful!! I have shooting & burning pains & it is also a little more swollen than the right? It even makes my left arm feel numb all the way to my fingertips at times!!
Is It Normal for 1 Breast to Be More Swollen & Painful Than the Other 1 Week Post-Op?
Doctor Answers 6
1 week post op breast pain
Swelling After Breast Augmentation
- Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
- Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
- A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
- Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
- Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
- You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Pain after breast augmentation
Swelling on one side after breast augmentation is not uncommon; if you have marked swelling (usually with bruising) it may be a sign of a hematoma (blood colleciton) which your surgeon may need to address. It is always best to let your surgeon take a look and make sure.
You might also like...
Pain and swelling post augmentation
Uneven swelling after breast augmentation surgery
Absolutely! It is almost the norm to have unequal swelling between the breasts after breast augmentation procedure especially at one week after surgery. The pain you are describing is also common but if persists you should check with your surgeon!
Wish you quick and successful recovery !!!!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.