How Long Until Results from Spironolactone (Aldactone) Can Be Seen and when will the Skin Start to Clear Up?

If someone was prescribed 100MG tablets daily to help combat acne,  approximately how long until results are seen?

Spironolactone For Acne

Typically one can start to see improvement in their acne after being on spironolactone for 2 months with optimal results being seen around 3 to 5 months out. I usually put my spironolactone patients on an oral contraceptive (if not already on one) to avoid symptoms like irregular menses. Additionally, I will add topical treatments to the regimen as the combination of spironolactone with topicals is more effective. It is important that your potassium level is checked every 6 months while on spironolactone as it can effect the potassium levels. 

Time for spironolactone to work

I will typically combine spironolactone with an oral contraceptive to reduce breakthrough bleeding, and I'll add topical therapy for a faster response. If only using spironolactone, then you should see some improvement by 2 months, and ideally wait 3-4 months for more optimal results. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon