How many cc's are lost going under the muscle ? And how much a difference between 350 and 375 hp?

How many cc's are lost going under the muscle ?

Thank you for the question. No, in my opinion, it is not possible to accurately determine how many ccs (if any) a patient would “lose” when undergoing sub muscular breast augmentation surgery. I suggest patients do not make decisions based on statement such as: “you will lose 25 or 50 cc of volume when breast implants are placed under the muscle”. These statements are simply not reliable enough to utilize clinically.

In regards to breast implant volume: much will depend on your specific anatomic features; for example, a 25 cc difference may be noticeable on a very petite patient but not on a patient with a larger frame. Therefore, the advice you receive online will not be specific enough to be very helpful.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Sometimes, it is necessary to seek several consultations before you feel comfortable about your choice.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, best not to discuss your goals and/or judge the outcome of the procedure performed based on achieving a specific cup size. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during the communication process. The use of in bra sizers may also be helpful. In other words, use as many “visual aids” as possible during the communication process. I encourage patients to meet with me as my times as necessary, to feel comfortable that we are both on the “same page”.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. I generally select appropriate breast implant size/profile after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers and viewing the patient's chest in the upright and supine positions.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

It is a myth. No cc's are lost by placing implant under the muscle. The cc's are still there and once the implants drop into [position they will enlarge the breast the same amount. Choose your size pre op and stick with it. Very little difference between 350 and 375cc-however if undecided go bigger if your base width is appropriate.

Implant sized over versus under?

In my opinion, the difference between 25 cc in implant size is so negligible except in the thinnest of patients you would not see a difference. There really is no size lost when placing the implant below the muscle as long as enough time has passed since the surgery that the overlying soft tissues are adequately  stretched. Early in the post operative time period in sub-muscularly placed implants the breast may appear flatter due to the over lying tension of the muscle. I hope this is helpful. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Implant volume

The implant volume is what it is. Because one often tries them on by putting them in a bra, they tend to look slighlty larger this way.  How much is hard to predict.

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  In terms of appearance patients do not lose any cc's by going underneath the muscle as the implant will redistribute its volume to the lower portion of the implant as it "drops" during the healing process.  In most cases 25cc is not a substantial difference when considered over the entire size of an implant, but this will depend on your current frame.  Talk to your surgeon about your desired goals they should be able to best steer you to the right size to meet your expectations. 

Nothing is "lost".

Thank you for your inquiry and photos. Without a physical examination it is difficult to respond with accuracy, but whether or not your implant is under the muscle or above the muscle will not impact on the volume. You are probably asking if the "look" will be different and this is based on many factors, including the thickness of your breast tissue. Most plastic surgeon recommend the placement be under the muscle for many reasons.

The best way to determine which breast implant size is best for you is by first finding out your specific wishes not only with words or letters as in cup size or “not too big” or “natural”, but also with a visual understanding of what you hope to look like. This can be accomplished either with photographs of patients whose breasts and body type look like you, or ideally with photos of patients not only whose breasts and body type visually are similar to yours, but are also a similar height, weight, and pre-operative breast size. In our own practice we have provided that unique functionality on our website to accomplish exactly that.

Unfortunately the most common reason for a woman to be unhappy after her augmentation is feeling as though she is either too big or not big enough. Thankfully, in our practice this is rarely a problem because implant size selection is what we spend most of our time discussing and determining. I do not place the onus of selecting the breast implant size on my patients since they are coming to me for my advice and expertise, but I do ask my patients to be as specific as possible about their aesthetic goals and I then advise them accordingly.

I would advise you to seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast enhancement surgery and make sure that your own sense of aesthetics aligns with that of your plastic surgeon. Your idea of “natural” or “pretty” or “proportionate” might be different from your plastic surgeon’s and it is very important for you to feel confident that you are both of like minds as far as the goals. Best of luck to you and I hope you are successful in achieving the enhancement you are seeking.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Cc and final breast size

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Biology can not be compared with engineering. The usual size difference between implant sizes is 5 millimeters in width and 3 millimeters in height for every 50 cc. At the end the understanding of the look that you want to get and the anatomy of your body will allow for the best result.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

No differance

A 25 cc difference side to side is undetectable by th trained eye.  The patient may "feel" the difference but an observer couldn't tell.  As far as "loss under the muscle", nothing is lost it is displaced, and again this is a trivia difference that is impossible to quantify. Either implant will work if that is the range your choosing.

Paul Talbot, MD
Hattiesburg Plastic Surgeon

CCs lost under the muscle

This depends on what type of implant you choose. If you choose silicone, I think about 50cc's are "lost" going under the muscle - this is based on sizers that you try on. If you use saline, I don't think any is lost because saline is more resistant to the muscle pushing it down. Twenty five cc's is about a tablespoon of fluid - so think about cooking and how much fluid that actually is. That means 350 to 375cc is about a tablespoon difference. Best wishes in your decision-making!

Lost ccs

None are lost, just a little different form typically and a little longer to reach final projection behind. Twenty-five ccs is only a shot or two of Tequila, almost imperceptible in that range. Breast augmentation is a dimensional operation, not a volume operation. Obviously you end up with a "volume", but it is how it is dimensionally distributed that determines your result.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD