I have lumpy, wavy, dimpled skin after liposuction. Surgeons technique or normal?

Ive seen some lumpy wavy and dimpled results. Is this the surgeons technique that is question or normal healing process?

If you find a very experienced surgeon, the flap created from liposuction will be uniform.  There should not be contour issues even in thinner patients.   I will say that sometimes healing is not perfect, and some results are clearly not technique related.

Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Expectations following liposuction.

Following liposuction, unfortunately there is a risk of dimples or waves.  This can be a result of poor skin integrity, cellulite pre-op or technique driven.  I recommend wearing a compression garmet for six weeks following surgery, massaging the area of liposuction three times a day beginning one week post-operatively, and keeping the area of liposuction flat (such as abdomen) while healing.  If the dimples persist after six months and are of significant size, a fat transfer may be performed to help the contour deformity. 

You may call my office if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Dimples and ripples in liposuction

When liposuction is used as a means of weight reduction, the relative excess of skin will leave some contour irregularities that will be permanent. Less aggressive liposuction cases may have early contour irregularities or asymmetries that improve with healing. If these are present at six weeks to three months, they will probobly require some additional surgery to corect.

John Cassel, MD (in memoriam)

Rippling after liposuction

if there is persistent lumpiness, waviness, or rippling after 6 - 8 months after liposuction it could indicate either an exagerration of a prexisting condition or a sequelae of the liposuction process itself
hope this helps
warm regards

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy skin post lipo

I think it may be that enough time has not elap[sed.You can have soem lumpiness and uneveness several months post lipo so I would give it soem time,heat and massage.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

defects in the skin, lumpiness, hardness, unevenness are all common in the immediate post-procedure state. however it should subside as the swelling goes down. if the defects are still there after 3-4 months its best to contact your surgeon to ensure the recovery is all normal. I do a lot of corrections of post-lipo defects in my practice. most defects I see are from SmartLipo. sometimes more than 1 procedure is required to achieve full correction.

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

Lumpy after liposuction

WIthout an exam it is difficult to say. Also, some waviness can happen early post-op.  Hard to say without more details.