How Long Does It Take for the Holes to Cover and to Eat Normal Food? (photo)

I just had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed on 6/17/13 and had a few questions. When can I have normal food like pizza? When can I drink out of a straw? When will the holes fully cover? Why is there a loose skin on the side of my back molar that was next to my wisdom tooth?

Wisdom teeth extracted

there is a rule of 3,3,3,

3 days hurts,you should be on controled diet.

3 weeks uncomfortable,eat everything, just take good care for hygiene

3 months, eat anything, good cleaning, and there would be complete healing

Wisdom teeth extraction

The time it takes for the hole to fill varies. If the extraction required plenty of tissue removal, then the hole may take longer to fill. However, after all this time, it is unlikely for food to cause a problem as long as you rinse the area after eating. In normal circumstances, you should avoid using a straw for one day only. The tissues around the extraction area may take sometime to get back to normal. Consult with your dentist. Good luck. 

You should call the doctor who performed the surgery for answer to your questions

Part of the standard of care is that you are explained the post operative instructions. They should have gone over all this with you at the time of the extractions. If not, then you should call and they can provide that for you. If they will not then you should file a complaint with the state dental licenture office.

Good luck

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Dentist

Eating After Wisdom Teeth Extractions

The opening will take a few months to heal, but by now it is safe to eat "normal" food and drink through the straw.  

Post Op Instructions For Wisdom Teeth Extractions

You are now three weeks post surgery for removal of your wisdom teeth.  At this point the following would be considered normal.

1. You can eat normal food.

2. You can drink through a straw.

3.  The tissue can take 6-8 weeks to full heal so some "loose" tissue around the tooth in front of the extraction site is normal.

4.  The "holes" can take up to three months to fully close.  

5.  There should not be any pain at this point.  If there is discomfort,  I would call the surgeon and ask them to do a quick post op visit for you to ensure proper healing is taking place.