How long does a dental implant take to heal?

I will have a minor bone grafting and a single dental implant in a couple days to replace a missing tooth. I'm 34, healthy person. How long should I expect to return to my regular life? Eating regular, going to work or the gym. Not asking when my new crown will be installed, I know it will take a couple of months but I'm curious about how long should I expect before the scar heals completely and pain is gone after the operation. and will I feel the screw in my jaw after the process? Thank you.

3-6 months

Depending on the quality of the bone and the location and size of the implants your implant surgery area it maybe a 7-10 days for initial healing but 3-6 months for the implant to completely integrate into the bone and be ready for the restorative portion of your treatment!

Mississauga Dentist

Healing after dental implant surgery.

It will take a couple of days to heal, you can go back to work anytime, should not affect your normal routines, just be careful of what you eat and the pressure you put on that side of the mouth. 
you may feel the screw or abutment until the end of the process.

Dental Implant, How long to heal?

If you were referring to the initial healing post-surgery, generally if it was a carefully performed procedure, like any other surgical procedure, you would feel a little bit uncomfortable or be aware in the first week. The mouth is a quick healer and until the stitches start to fall off, dissolve or are removed; it is at this point that your mouth starts to feel normal. If the implants or the screws are carefully threaded into the jawbone, there’s generally no feeling that you have anything in your jawbone. Most of this sensation comes from peeling back the gum during the dental procedure and the minor swelling that might occur after the surgery.

Fadi Yassmin, BDS
Sydney Dentist

What to expect after a dental implant has been placed

Assuming that I correctly understand all of the details of the procedure that you are about to undergo, I believe that you will be very pleasantly surprised. 
In the typical scenario, the placement of an implant is a very atraumatic procedure because you have to be kind to the bone to avoid damaging it. This means that there is normally very little, if any swelling or bruising, and the pain is minimal to nonexistent. 
You also mention that you will be receiving a minor bone graft. When I use that verbiage, it means that only a small amount of graft material will be needed and possibly a small flap will be made in the gum tissue. This may result in some minor discomfort, but usually Motrin is sufficient to help keep you comfortable. 
The healing period will vary based on the flap design chosen by your implant dentist, as will the disruption to your normal daily activities. I will usually tell patients to take it easy for a few days following this type of procedure. If we schedule for a Friday, then most people are fine come Monday morning. 

I hope you found this information helpful,
Dr Champagne

Implant Healing

I actually have had an implant myself. Usually you are back to normal activities the next day or two. The process of integration takes about 4 months before the permanent crown can be made.

Bryan Edgar, DDS
Federal Way Dentist

Bone grafting and dental implant placement surgery if are both done at the same time, on a healthy person should take 4 to 6 months.

Depending the technique that your doctor will use you gums will heal faster or lower. Those surgeries using laser or electrosurgery equipment will heal faster, flap surgery will last more than  keyhole dental implant placement (also called implants without surgery) that doesnt require to open a flap on your gums.

After the surgery, depending the expertise and conditions you will have a temporary crown, a healing cap, or just the gum closed that will be opened again to expose the implant after the healing time, to place the abutment and crown.

As far as i know from my practice, patient only report some disconfort the first day but nothing the second day you should not do any excesive work, or lift heavy weights at least for 3 days. You will be medicated with cortisone or derivates and antibiotic therapy for at least 5 days.

Jose Alonso, MD, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist