How Long After a Tummy Tuck is It Normal to Have a Bowel Movement?

I went through my tummy tuck feb 4th and have a lot of gurgling in my tummy but i have not been able to have a bowel movement. I've been eating a lot of fiber and been drinking Prune juice as well as "fiber wise" How long should i go without being worried about having a bowel movement? I was really regular before surgery!

Constipation after surgery is common

You ask a very common question.  Constipation after surgery is very commong.  First, you likely underwent general anesthesia and have been using narcotic pain medications.  These medications can slow your bowels down and "put them to sleep."  This is just temporary and will resolve with time.   Second, you likely ate nothing for 24 hrs and are likely eating less during your immediate postoperative phase.   Third, you may be slightly dehydrated.  And fourth, you are likely walking a little less than usual (ambulation helps get the bowels moving).  All of these things can be easily address.  Many times, patients can take colace or other gentle stool softeners to aid the process.   I would advise you not to strain or push as it could damage your tummy tuck.  Talk to you plastic surgeon about your concerns. 

Constipation after surgery is common

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fighting constipation after tummy tuck

After three to four days with no 'activity' tummy tuck patients begin to get anxious. The bowl will naturally slow down to the response of surgery, inactivity, and narcotic pain medication. Your solution is three fold. Walk as much as you can as you will feel better and things get moving. Next, keep track of the pain medication and use it wisely when needed, for every action there is a reaction. Finally, start milk of magnesia, two tablespoons morning and night (yuk) and things will correct themselves naturally. Avoid laxatives as these can just make you downright uncomfortable.

peterejohnsonmd

Fighting constipation after tummy tuck

peterejohnsonmd

10 days TT CONSTIPATION

Ten days of constipation can seem like a lifetime so keep working on it as you have been.  Dietary supplementation will help, keep active and walking regularly and make sure you don't take too much pain medication unnecessarily (despite the normal discomfort from this operation).  If you develop fevers, abdominal distention or bad cramping you will need to visit your physician for help, otherwise this happens not uncommonly.

10 days TT CONSTIPATION

Tummy tuck and bowel movement

Becuase many patients are on pain medications jsut after surgery, this can slow down your gi tract.  it is unclear from this query what the time frame is.  Speak with tyour doctor.

Tummy tuck and bowel movement

Bowel Function after Tummy Tuck

It is not unusual to have a period of difficulty with bowel movements following tummy tucks.  I agree that your pain medication may be a significant cause of this.  In addition to the corrective measures which you have already undertaken, you might also consider a stool softener and a suppository such as Dulcolax.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Bowel Function after Tummy Tuck

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck

The difficulty with bowel movement is most likely due to the post-operative pain medications (opiates).  Gradually, you will improve.

Tummy tuck

Bowel Movement After Tummy Tuck

It is very normal to suffer from constipation after any type of surgery when you are taking Narcotics (pain killers) to ease the pain.  As soon as you feel you are able to dis-continue the use of the pain medication you should do so.  In the meantime use over the counter fiber products to assist you with the constipation and contact your surgeon to prescribe you a stool softener as well. Hope this helps and congratulations on your procedure.

Bowel Movement After Tummy Tuck

Bowel Troubles after a Tummy Tuck

After surgery developing bowel troubles such as bloating and constipation is very common. This is because you have just had abdominal surgery, you are less mobile, and you are taking narcotic pain medication which causes the slowing of the bowels.

This can be very unpleasant experience given that you should avoid straining after this type of surgery.  Whilst in hospital my patients are prescribed a number of medications to minimise any bowel problems. I also encourage drinking plenty of fluids, maintaining a high fibre diet and taking supplements such as Metamucil. This will hopefully make going to the bathroom more frequent and therefore be less traumatic on the wounds and abominal muscles.  The potential for bloating, along with the surgical swelling will make you appear a lot fuller in the beginning but it is temporary and will settle.

Bowel Troubles after a Tummy Tuck

Constipation following tummy tuck...

Constipation can cause significant problems in the post-operative period.When patients undergo abdominal surgery, constipation can lead to severe discomfort and pain. If not addressed, it can lead to bowel obstruction and severe secondary complications.
In the immediate post-operative period, narcotics and dehydration can contribute to the development of constipation. In someone with baseline constipation, it’s important that every effort be made to optimize their condition pre-operatively. Stool softeners should be continued in the post-operative period. Every effort should be made to maintain hydration and activity levels. Narcotics should be tapered as quickly as possible following surgery as well.

Constipation following tummy tuck...

Unfortunately constipation is very common after plastic surgical procedures. I usually suggest high-fiber food and weaning off narcotic medications soon as feasible. Medications may also be useful depending on the specific situation, patient allergy, and surgeon preference.
Generally, it is advisable for patients seek assistance from their operating plastic surgeon if the constipation persists past 4 to 5 days. Best wishes.