What is the better procedure for earlobe reduction, surgical knife or laser? (Photo)
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 6
Earlobe reduction surgery: edge or wedge?
I perform earlobe reduction surgery quite frequently. The procedure is performed with local anesthesia (lidocaine) in the office and takes about 45 minutes per ear. There are two possible techniques:
1. Edge excision: This is the usual procedure. It involves drawing a line exactly marking the new desired earlobe size and shape. All tissue outside this line is removed, and the remaining skin edges are repaired, leaving a scar along the edge of the earlobe (facing neither forward nor backward) where it is generally well-concealed. Internal sutures dissolve on their own. The external sutures are removed about 2 weeks later.
2. Wedge excision: This involves a vertical incision along the earlobe, leaving a vertical scar that may be more visible. It is useful for patients who are interested in simultaneous repair of a torn earlobe or who have an attached earlobe (meaning that there is no skin hanging below the ear-cheek junction). Suture management is the same as above.
All bandages are present for less than 24 hours. If desired, the earlobes may be repierced at the same time. Cost for earlobe reduction is $700 per earlobe, as this is a much more involved procedure than simple earlobe repair. I do not believe that the use of a laser would significantly enhance the outcome.
Earlobe reduction: laser vs knife
#EarlobeReduction surgery as requested five patients who have extensively large earlobes that may be large from family traits, aging, the use of very large earrings or plugs, or previous facial surgery.
What type of anesthesia is used
Generally these procedures are performed under local anesthetic and require 15 to 30 minutes depending upon how complex the particular case is.
laser, knife, scissors can all be used. its the experience of the surgeon that matters
Difficult to say what is best
You might also like...
Best Earlobe Reduction Technique
Whatever method you opt for, it is important that you consider a few very important things for your earlobe reduction:
- Choose a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with this procedure
- Pay close attention to wound care instructions after surgery
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products
What is the better approach for #earlobe #reduction - scalpel or #laser?
Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.