Can I get lip fillers after vascular occlusion? What are the risks?

I had lip fillers 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately I developed a rash which went all the way up my right cheek and on my nose (to the right again). It turned out that I had vascular occlusion and had to go through a very painful process. The product was removed from the upper right lip and I have been on a lot of medication such as steroids, viagra, heparin, etc. I am happy to say that the swelling, rash has gone now however my lips are uneven, what can I do? If anything?

Dermal fillers and arterial occlusion

Avoid for at least 3 months. The area needs to heal, and repair following arterial occlusion. Arterial occlusion, though rare, is a serious side effect, and can be reversed in the majority of cases. 

Next time around, consider the use of a cannula for filling (this does not prevent arterial or vascular occlusion, but reduces the chances)

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetics 
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Lips and Vascular Occlusion

I would avoid anymore injections for at least six months since you had such a complication.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

I suggest avoiding any fillers to the area you may have had a vascular accident for at least 3-6 months. the blood vessels are compromised.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Previous vascular occlusion, now lips uneven

I would go to an expert injector and explain the previous problem. It can be evened out with precise filler injection. Lucky this is the only side effect from such a devastating potential problem. Blunt cannulas for the lips will decrease the likihood of a vascular occlusion in the future.

Steven F. Weiner, MD