Will I be left with horrible loose skin after liposuction? (Photos)

I will be getting liposuction and 400 cc of fat transfer to each buttock cheek in December. I have been told that my skin will become saggy on my abdomen. Should i opt to have a tummy tuck at the same time or wait and see the results? If sagging is inevitable, i'd rather have everything done at once. I really am hoping to have a better more shapely figure.

Will I be left with horrible loose skin after liposuction?

I would recommend a lot more fat transferred to the buttocks as this will not make a great difference at all, based upon the pictures.  You can elect to have a tummy tuck at the same time or later.

Fat removal and skin tightening

The skin of loose skin exists with any fat removal procedure but newer technologies such as radiofrequency-assisted liposuction, ultrasound-assisted liposuction or laser-assisted liposuction can simultaneously remove fat white stimulating skin tightening. Alternatively there are treatments you can do post liposuction such as Venus Legacy, shockwave therapy that can help your skin snap back. How much loose skin you'll have depends on your genes/lifestyle so I advise you to find some doctors in your area that do new generation liposuction and wait 6 months post procedure before embarking on more invasive surgery

Neil Sadick, MD

The Best Approach Would Be a Combination Approach--Tummy Tuck with VASER HI Def, ThermiRF, ultrasound

I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a hi-def physique expert. If you're a candidate for a tummy tuck and liposuction, they can be done at the same time. I recommend  VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, contouring and skin tightening. Based on your photos you will need a tummy tuck at the same time.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer 

Hello muriamfatima - Thanks for your question. If you are fairly young, have good skin, and minimal stretch marks, your skin can shrink and tighten fairly well after liposuction. In this case, liposuction and BBL surgery should be just fine for you and you shouldn't really fear much in the way of loose skin. If you are older, with loose skin now, lots of stretch marks, and have had children, you might have enough laxity in the skin that you won't completely tighten after liposuction. In this case you might need a tummy tuck to optimize your outcome. I would recommend that you consult with several BBL specialists in your area for several opinions and decide what makes the most sense to you. Looking at the side shot of your abdomen, you have some laxity of the abdominal muscles. While liposuction will contour the extra fat, it won't tighten the abdominal muscles. You will look slimmer, but you won't have a flat abdomen. Core strengthening at the gym may help here. Also, getting your core in shape before surgery is always recommended. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck versus Liposuction of the abdomen

It really depends on the looseness of the skin which is somewhat difficult to assess from photos alone.  Have you had any pregnancies to term?  If so then the tummy tuck may be the way to go.

Liposuction and fat transfers along with a tummy tuck?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and BBL (fat transfers to buttocks.)

• A tummy tuck can be done at the same time but the risks to you are higher and the recovery harder.
  • It is usually wiser to have the liposuction and fat transfers first - the tummy tuck later.
  • However ask your surgeon if it is possible to combine the two, safely for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

While your photos are helpful, an in-person consultation would give the information needed to give you a complete answer. Determining your current skin tone (elasticity) and the amount of abdominal vs visceral fat you have would yield a more informed response. Other information including you current height, weight, age as well as number of children and any plans for more children would also put together a complete picture.

That being said, and based solely on your photos, you could achieve a nice result from liposuction without significant sagging or waviness of you skin. Good Luck