Cheek filler made me look even more gaunt what to do now?

I don't gain facial weight so had filler in the cheeks the injector concentrated on making my cheeks look higher, however the rest of my face now looks skinner I had half a syringe per cheek. Should I now go back and have more filler in the apples of the cheeks ?

Gaunt face looks worse with filler

Thank you for sharing your problem. The anatomy of the whole face must be taken into account before injecting with filler. The cheeks and hollows beneath the cheeks often have to be injected simultaneously to ensure an attractive appearance. It sounds like you need further filling below the cheeks.  Good luck,

A Nonsurgical Mid-Face Rejuvenation With Volumizing Fillers Works Well Treating Gaunt & Sunken Cheeks

Photos would be very important here for more precisely addressing your problem. However, it sounds as though, by concentrating on leaving you with a high cheekbone appearance within the upper sides of your mid face, your injector left the mid-face region below and more centrally appearing disproportionately thinner and volume depleted. If  this is the case, a nonsurgical mid-face rejuvenation to volumize the latter area will restore more overall balance to your face.

Your question, however, raises a couple of important issues. One is that working with fillers to shape and contour the face is real art and is not simply a matter of measuring the amount of a syringe you inject, the way it would be for an injection of penicillin in the the arm or buttocks. An experienced aesthetic injector knows in advance not only which material(s) are best to get the entire job done right, but precisely where to inject the product(s) to get the desired effects, as well as how much of each would be necessary to do so. And all of this should be communicated to the individual PRIOR to treatment to avoid unnecessary concern or disappointment, and a treatment plan (such as whether all is performed in one session or scheduled in stages) established during consultation in accordance with the patient's goals and budget. I suspect that had this been done in your case, it is unlikely that you would be disappointed at this point and needing to query the RealSelf.com doctors for answers. 

Going forward, make sure that you vet your doctors thoroughly. Look for a board certified aesthetic core physician and make certain to ask to see his/her before and after photos before agreeing to proceed. Best of luck. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Cheek filler made face more gaunt

Pictures would be helpful to give you the best advice, but it sounds as if you might need some more filler placed lower down on your cheeks to improve the gaunt appearance of your face. I would discuss this with the physician who treated you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard to say

of course its hard to say without pictures but I am imagining that your area under your eyelids now looks fuller which makes your face look even longer. I suspect as you have only had half a ml that you would benefit from some mid cheek fullness, not just upper and lateral cheek. This gives the face what we call the Ogee curve, an s shape that circles the cheek and travels down the nasolabial line. 

Ask your practitioner for a second visit or find someone who knows what an ogee curve looks like.

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Cheek filler made me look even more gaunt what to do now? Injector concentrated on making my cheeks look higher.

I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face but the volume should be added in the front, not on the sides or tops of the cheeks which create a more angular = masculine shaped cheek and face.

Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissue layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount.

Hope this helps.

Gaunt After Filler

This is hard to answer without pictures. You can do more contouring and add fullness to the face with facial fillers and/or Botox, implants or fat. I recommend seeing an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer