Will 80 cc's increase make a drastic change in size? (photos)

I had my breast augmentation March 23 and am 3 weeks post op. I feel as if my breast are too small. My surgeon is confident that I will like the size in 3-4 months but I'm looking at the implants and they seem smaller than I wanted. I currently am 325/400 cc and he says that if we revise he can fill my currents to 410/480 but I don't know if that will make a true difference. I've attached my breast vs my desired outcome

Will 80 cc's increase make a drastic change in size?

It is too early for you to draw any conclusions. Your chest wall is still acclimating to your implants and those changes will evolve over the next 3-6 months. I urge you to consider withholding judgement until your breasts have settled into their new size and shape. Having said that, 80cc is enough to show a difference. I have moved away from saline implants in my practice as much as possible because I feel that the results are sub-par when compared with silicone gel implant based breast augmentation. Good luck!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Drop And Fluff

At 3 weeks post op there is still a significant amount of pressure/tightness in the breasts which can compress and displace the volume. You are likely to see more of the "drop and fluff" effect over the next 3-4 months. I recommend that you wait until 6 months post op to evaluate your size and results.

All the best

Too Early To Tell

Stop making judgements too early, planning future surgeries. The last thing you want is a hastily planned surgery creating new problems.  Another issue is your surgeons willingness to over fill you saline implants by so much.  This will lead to very hard, spherical shaped implants that are much more likely to cause tissue atrophy, stretch, and rippling. Your current implants look about as wide as they can be on your chest, and their projection will improve as you drop and fluff over the next few months. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks to months as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Usually, final results will be seen 4-6 months postop, especially with the apparent lift that you had done on one breast.  Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. It is not uncommon for one breast to settle more quickly than the other due to swelling, dissection, or muscle tightness.  A surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and exchange/revision.  It sounds as if you have saline implants. I doubt 80cc will likely make a very appreciable difference and consideration for a higher profile implant will likely be needed to meet your goals. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Augmentation too small 3 weeks post op

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your question and photos. If you feel your breast as too small, then they are too small. It does not matter what I say or your plastic surgeon, the outcome should be what you want and not what WE think. 80cc's does not make a cup size change usually it takes at least 100-150cc to make a cup size change based on your chest width. As your implants settle the bottom increases but the overall size decreases. Again, you size taste is yours and not a surgeons but we give recommendations based on your bodies anatomy as what will look good and not damage your tissues. I recommend being evaluated by Vectra, out 3D program that can show size differences based on CC's. Good luck.

Carlos Mata, MD, MBA, FACS

I do feel it is too early for you to really know if you will be happy or not. Over 3 months the implants will settle. You may then like your shape and size much better. Being that said my opinion is that once implants settle they look smaller. I do not feel that 80cc's will take you from where you are to what your wish pictures look like. You will most likely need much more volume. It is hard for me to say looking at your picture what that means. I am happy to see you anytime if I can help you out. Best of luck. Dr. Rick

Richard J. Brown, MD

Adding 80 ccs

Thank for your question and photos.

As you can see, waiting for the implants to settle over a few months to see what your final shape and perception of the size will be, is recommended by almost all plastic surgeons.

The reason for this is that there are definite changes that happen over time and it is the final, stable result that should be considered in relation to your original goals. Your perception of your implants on your body may also go through some adjustments over time as well.

General changes that happen regularly include settling of the implants, a stretching out of the soft tissues on the bottom of the breast, reduction in swelling and decreased prominence in the upper breast.

I do believe that 80 ccs added to each implant will give you a noticeable difference. But whether this difference is going to achieve your goals is the question. It may be that with just maturation of the process you will be satisfied without any changes. Or it may be that 80 ccs, although a visible difference, will not be enough to reach your goal. 

It is just a little early to be making this judgement but when the time comes, your surgeon will help you with options if you are not satisfied with your size.

Good luck!

Frederick K. Park, MD
Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

You are very early in your healing stage and need to give yourself time to heal, let the swelling subside, and the implants settle. Only after that can your truly evaluate your size. Adding another 80 cc's will increase your volume some, but not a cup size. Remember, this is the size that you and your surgeon selected. Please discuss any concerns you have with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  There is an adjustment period after surgery; regardless, wait at least 3 months before getting a better idea about how you feel.  Discuss your concerns and options with your surgeon.  Ultimately if you are still dissatisfied, a revision can be considered.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Need some time

Keep working with your doctor.
It will take some time for you implants to settle.
The additional volume will make some difference, but there are risks to going back in.
Hang in there!