Swelling After Lip Fillers

they look so bad! my lips usually jessica alba sort of shape! is this just swelling and will it go down? please help im distraught thanks

its been around 48 hours and my lips look horrible soon as i left the room they looked bad ! i had dermal filler to my upper lip and its so swollen but not sore at all the middle bit of my lip is really fat and hanging down lips look sort of an M shape and this was really not what i wanted. i look so ugly and im so so depredded over it. please help. thanks x

Lips can be swollen and bruised right after injections

I wouldn’t worry about lips looking horrible 48 hours after dermal fillers because they can be swollen and bruised. You really have to give it up to a month to see the result. And, certainly the first 2 days you would expect them to be fuller because the products absorb water which will over-correct the lips slightly at first.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

It will take up to 2 weeks for the swelling to subside.

At 48 hours following your lip augmentation procedure, you are still swollen, which is masking your true results. Be patient and wait for the swelling to subside; final results can usually be seen after two weeks. If you are still unhappy with your lips after two weeks, visit your injector again for a follow-up visit to discuss your options. As a last resort, hyaluronidase can be used to dissolve your filler.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Swelling

The best time to evaluate the results of your lip injection is 10-14 days post procedure. The end result typically looks very similar to the appearance of your lips directly after the injection was done- the rest is just swelling. Some people experience significant swelling for 3-4 days and slight swelling for up to 10 days. Contact your provider if swelling persists beyond the 2 week mark because this could indicate an infection. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Swelling after Restylane Silk Lip Enhancement

Restylane SILK can produce swelling in the lip just as Juvaderm Ultra XC can since they are both hyaluronic acids . Restylane SILK is  hydrophilic(water loving) , so water is drawn into the area with fast injection, causing exaggerated swelling. This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with ice, benadryl orally and time. Contact your provider if the swelling persists or if you have increased pain.

#Restylanesideeffects #LIpswelling #lipenhancements

Lip Filler Side Effects

Patients typically experience some minor swelling that lasts a day or two after lip enhancement injections with Juvaderm Ultra or Restyane Silk  In rare cases, there could be minor bruising. Some patients bruise more easily than others. Some medications, if taken regularly, can increase the risk of bruising as well (fish oil, aspirin, vitamin e, etc.).  Using oral Arnica is a simple solution to quickly healing the signs of the injections.  
Within 5-7 days, the area will be improved.  Wait for swelling to subside to do any further touch-ups.

#Lipaugmentation  #RestylaneSILK   #JuvadermULTRA

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Swelling after lip injection

Most swelling settles down within a week or two. See your injector if swelling lasts longer than that.

In the meantime, you can use cool packs to ease the swelling, placing them on your lips or 15 minute stretches 3-4 times a day. (your lips may be numb at the moment and doing short stretches with the ice pack minimizes the risk of frostbite).

Lip swelling

It is not unusual to have lip swelling for 24-48 hours after filler injection.  I would give it at least this long before becoming too concerned.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip swelling

Lip swelling just after injections is common. It is also common for the next few days. Give it some time and they probably will come down.

Just post injection swelling vs. too much filler

I'd give this a few more days.  The lips tend to swell quite a bit after injection.  I always have my patients "cool their jets" and keep an ice pack on their lips for 10 - 15 minutes immediately after injection.  If you still are unhappy a week after injection, ask your doctor about hyaluronidase injection.  This enzyme will break down the filler if the filler is hyaluronic acid (HA) and you will be back to your preinjection self very quickly.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Swelling after lip filler injection

Restylane and Juvederm injection of the lips for augmentation can cause moderate swelling after the procedure.  This is due to the filler's affinity to bind to water.  This swelling typically should resolve in 24-36 hours.  See your injector if swelling or pain persists. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon