If I Just Get Liposuction on my "Flanks" Will the Fat That Usually Goes There Go to my Butt?

I already have a "big butt" but my "love handles" ruin my curves...instead of getting a brazilian butt lift, should I just get lipo on my love handles instead? I just don't want to risk my nice butt having chances of being ruined....

Flanks and Buttocks.

A board certified plastic surgeon will be able to tell you the correct procedure to reach your goals.  If you are unhappy with your flanks and happy with your buttocks, then the answer is clear.  And no, fat won't go to your butt if you liposuction your flanks.  Good luck.

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

Liposuction Excellent Choice

Everything in the female form should be viewed together...proportions are very important.  Since you love your butt leave it alone and liposuction your "problem" areas.  By shaping the rest of your figure not only will your buttocks look better but any weight gain would more likely end up in your buttocks than the areas that were reduced with liposuction.

Eric Sadeh, MD

Flank Liposuction, No Brazilian Butt Lift

You have answered your own question. Leave your buttocks alone as that is the best way to have zero problems with it and focus on liposuction of the love handles only. Their reductio  will have somewhat of a visual effect of a larger buttocks. I am not aware of any scientific studies that show a significant amount of fat migrating to the buttocks after flank liposuction.

Lipo of flanks, what about the butt?

Only a surgeon with a trained aesthetic eye who understands the underlying muscular anatomy can best answer this question for you. The trunk is an aesthetic unit consisting of the abdomen, lower back, buttocks and flanks. They all must be in proportion. When looking at the buttocks, there are two issues to address when considering fat grafting: is there adequate fill and are there issues with the shape. Re-shaping a buttock contour can eat up a lot more of your graftable fat than augmentation. You may think your buttock needs no grafting, but in fact, you may benefit from it. I would recommend that you find a surgeon who is very experienced and comfortable with these issues, and best if they perform 4D VASER liposuction and grafting as the VASER is very gentle on the harvested fat. Good luck!!

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

liposuction doesn't affect your future ability to gain weight or lose weight. If you gain weight after lipo in the flanks, your body will preferentially place it in other untreated areas like abdomen, back, butt, breast, arms, inner thighs, outer thighs. Some of it will go to the butt.
the best thing is to try not to regain the weight back.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction to the love handles dramatically improves butt shape

Yes! Just get the lipo to the love handles. Here are some good reasons:

1. Liposuction to the love handles gives the existing butt more of a bubble butt appearance
  2. It decreases the waist to hip ratio (smaller waist in relation to hips)
  3. Gives a better "shelf"
  4. Some of the fat (not all)  WILL redistribute to the butt.
  5. It is far cheaper
  6. There is dramatically less recovery.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

That is a bit difficult to predict.   Liposuction and Brazilian buttlift results are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures and Brazilian buttlifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction of love handles

Liposuction does remove unwanted fat from an area. If you gain weight however, there is no way of making sure where it will go to a specific area of your body such as your buttocks. If you like the size and shape of your buttock leave it alone. Only liposuction the love handles if that is what is bothering you. If performed correctly it will make your buttock and shape look even better!

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

This is a common misconception. The fat only shows up in another spot is you get fatter. If you maintain the appropriate caloric consumption and exercise then you will not get fat some where else. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon