Liposuction to Lose Inches After C-section?

Hi, I am 25 years old with two young kids. I want to have liposuction done on my lower stomach to get rid of the fatty tissue. The extra skin doesn't matter. I just want to fit in my pants right and build confidence. I am concerned to have a tummy tuck because I had a painful recovery from a c-section last year. What do you think?

Your thinking is exactly right for Liposuction

Dear Lynnamo

A funny thing happens to many women who have a c-section. They end up with this ugly lump of fat sitting above their c-section scar. Consulting the plastic surgeon, they may have been told that the only way to fix this is a tummy tuck but this is not the case.

What has happened is that during the C-section, the obstetrician pushes up the abdominal fat to smooth and thin out the area of the tummy where the c-section is going to be made. This pushes this fat above the incision. When the incision is sutured closed, the fat is essentially trapped above the scarring making for that ugly mommy pouch. Sure, a tummy tuck will address this, but it is a very big gun for a small issue.

There are good reasons for a tummy tuck. These relate to very poor stretched out skin and weakness in the walls of the abdomen. When these issues are not present, liposuction can flatten the mommy pouch without the disability of a tummy tuck.

These are performed under local anesthesia, so you are awake and very comfortable. This minimizes the drugs. Microcannuals are used which minimizes trauma. Most are able to return to their work out in 2 days. A personal consultation is needed to determine if this procedure is right for you.

What happens to the excess skin after liposuction?

You should be ready to get it hung. The extent depends on the elasticity of the skin, amount of skin excess and whether there are already stretch marks. The skin may shrink down to the new size after liposuction, but in general, skin with stretch marks has already lost it’s ability to shrink. Similarly, the bigger was your size before liposuction, the less is the ability of the skin to shrink.

Only after examination can the doctor predict if this skin will shrink or not.

So what happens to excess skin if it does not shrink?

As we said before the excess skin will hang and this can spoil the final result of your liposuction.
That's why the majority of women who have completed their families consider abdominoplasty ot Tummy Tuck procedure.

Soreness may last for several weeks or months also, but nevetheless, the patients who went through TT are usually the most happy patients and think the result was worth it.

I wish you the best of luck!

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will be much specific to without viewing photographs or in-person evaluation. However, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. The tummy tuck operation serves to re approximate muscles that may have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss, remove "excess" skin/adipose tissue (often overhanging C-section scars) and further contour the abdominal wall, with tools such as liposuction surgery.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides.

You will also hear/read about mini tummy tuck surgery. In my opinion/experience, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

Again, for the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link/video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Use the proper procedure to address issues.

It’s important for patients to have realistic expectations when they undergo liposuction procedures. We know as plastic surgeons that the best results occur when we properly analyze problems and apply the appropriate therapeutic option.In other words, we don’t want to become the guy who’s got a hammer, so the whole world becomes a nail.

In this case, your physical examination indicates that you have a significant amount of loose abdominal skin.Under these circumstances, the best surgical option is probably abdominoplasty.However, you’re willing to make compromises to avoid a more aggressive surgical procedure.You’re not worried about how you look with your clothes off, you’re more worried about how your clothes fit and you want your clothes to fit better.Under these circumstances Liposuction of the abdomen seems like a reasonable option.

Unfortunately, many patients in this situation are ultimately unhappy with their surgical result.They frequently are bothered by their excess skin and tell you that they had no idea that it would look this bad.

When this situation arises a tummy tuck may still be necessary.For this reason it’s extremely important that patients understand the consequences of their compromise position.It’s important that the surgeon and patient thoroughly discuss these issues before proceeding with surgery.

Doesn't help loose skin

Liposuction may not be enough because while you may lose some inches from eliminating fat, the loose skin will become more apparent. This could still prevent you from wearing the clothes you want, as you'll still get bulging and "muffin top". A tummy tuck would probably be better for you. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a physical examination to determine which treatment would be most suitable. Good luck.

Liposuction, tummy tuck

Before considering a tummy tuck vs. liposuction of the lower abdomen, you need to decide if you will be having any further children. If you are planning to have more children in the future, I would suggest holding off on a tummy tuck for now. If your skin is loose and has stretch marks, liposuction can only improve your shape, but the texture of the skin will be more loose and irregular.

The recovery from a tummy tuck is typically not as painful as that of a C-section. This is because a tummy tuck does not involved any cutting of muscle, just tightening of muscle. Although the pain may be similar, generally speaking, most patients recover sooner from a tummy tuck, as it is less invasive than a C-section.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what the best procedure is for your particular anatomy.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy Tuck versus Liposuction

The question of tummy tuck versus liposuction really depends on your anatomy. If you have loose abdominal muscles and loose skin, then you really need an abdominoplasty to repair your diastasis (separation of your abdominal muscles) and remove the extra skin. If you have tight abdominal muscles, but overlying fat and good quality skin, then liposuction might work well for you. There is no magic wand - if you need an abdominoplasty, you need an abdominoplasty.

David Shafer, MD

C-section and liposuction versus tummy tuck

Hi, it's hard to say whether liposuction or a tummy tuck will be more effective for you without an examination. However, a tummy tuck is much less painful than a C-section as the muscles are not being cut this time, as they were during your C-section. Both procedures will help you to fit into your clothing better. I would advise you to see a board-certified plastic surgeon and discuss your specific concerns about pain and your goals. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Liposuction is the answer to your prayers

Liposuction should be just fine for what you are requesting. It is easy to go through under local anesthesia, much safer and has a quick recovery time without all the pain and downtime of a tummy tuck. Cost for the abdomen will run about $4500-5000 and is so worth it.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Procedures after c-section

Most patients that have had children have loose skin and weak abdominal muscles.  Yes, liposuction can remove some of the fatty deposits but it won't treat the loose skin and weak muscles like a tummy tuck.