How Long Does It Take to See Final Results After Liposuction?

I had lipo on my stomach and i think its bigger than what it was before. I had lipo done over 7 months ago-how long do i have to wait for final results?

Final result after liposuction seen at 4 months.

Hi.

1)  In addition to all the fat cells that are removed with liposuction, many other fat cells are left behind but they are bruised.  These bruised fat cells slowly atrophy.  That's why it takes four months.  The swelling (extra fluid) is gone in one month, but the treated areas keep shrinking for another three months, because of this ongoing cell atrophy.

2)  I am afraid what you have now is really the final result.  I don't know why you have a disappointing result.

Liposuction

Liposuction is great for instant-gratification seekers, but don't fret if you still see imperfections in your shape several weeks later. It can take 4 to 6 months even a year, to get an accurate picture of how the body will look once the swelling subsides and everything settles into place. Liposuction patients who started out especially overweight will have to bide their time before realizing their dream results, because it takes several weeks to months for skin to redrape over the new area and for tissue to heal completely.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Most patients will see 90% of their ultimate liposuction results with in one to three months after surgery.

Most patients will see 90% of their ultimate liposuction results with in one to three months after surgery. For the first few weeks after surgery there is postoperative swelling. The rate at which this swelling subsides depends on what surgical technique and method for postoperative care is used. Ultrasonic assisted liposuction (UAL) is associated with prolonged postoperative swelling. When the surgeon’s operative technique uses adits (round holes) that are left open, instead of linear incisions closed with stitches, patients can expect to see 90 % of the ultimate results within four weeks. When the surgeon closes the incisions with stitches, swelling usually resolves within 8 to 12 weeks.

Mark Kohout, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results may improve up to six months after surgery

It may take as long as six months after surgery to realise the maximal improvement that liposuction can provide. Certainly, there is less improvement in the last two months than in the first four.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction final results

I would say by 3-4 months you will be reaching the endpoint of seeing the final results.  If at 7 months you are not happy you should re-evaluate your concerns.   If it is your stomach region perhaps you needed muscle tightening in the first place to flatten the belly?

Liposuction does NOT make your Tummy Bigger - Food does

Liposuction removes fat. It does NOT create fat. The most fat we can remove in an outpatient setting is around 10 pounds of fat. As a result, liposuction is NOT a weight reduction procedure.

The trouble with liposuction is that people often forget what they looked like and may be tempted to eat more and burn less fat leading to weight gain.

If you are wondering what you looked like before the surgery, ask your surgeon to show you his BEFORE pictures.

When do you see the final results from liposuction.

There will be very little if any change in your liposuction results after 7 months. Very often patients don't remember how big the area was before liposuction. That is why you should see your surgeon and look at the before photos. The fat cells that were removed are gone forever, but the remaining ones can get larger.

Final results after liposuction

In my experience with classical tumescent liposuction over the last 25 yrs.over 90% of the result should be visible in 3-4 mos.

My questions to you are: were you a good cantidate to start with? What did you weigh pre op and what do you weigh now? Did you wear compression garments and for how long? What technique was used and how much was removed? And finally wasit done by a board certified Plastic Surgeon??

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Final results after liposuction

Great question. The answer is variable to each area and individual. Average result can be seen as early as a day to 3 months. Sorry I can not be more specific to your question.

From MIAMI Dr. B