1 Day Post Lip Augmentation: Partial and Uneven Swelling

Hi, I had a lip augmentation (with hyraluronic acid) yesterday,only uppler lip, a low dose (half shot) to even my lips and fill the upper right part got thinner by age. When i left the Doctors practice all was perfect, no swelling, no bruise. i went to gym then dinner but after 6 hours right side started to swell. now there is a big difference with right and left. is it nomal? can it be removed? thank you for your time.

Swellinga fter lip augmentation with fillers is very common

IMHO, you shouldn't throw yourself into a panic because your upper lip has swelling after fillers to the lip.  It's normal and very typical, especially if you had strenous activity right after the injections...which increased the blood supply to the lip.  Call the MD who did the injections for his/her instructions...we would have you apply ice to the area for the next day or so.  Hope this helps and be sure to have a layer of cloth (tee shirt or pillow case) between the bag of ice and your lip so it doesn't burn your lip.

Uneven Swelling One Day After Lip Augmentation With Restylane or Juvederm

I warn all of my patients not to make any "final" decisions until at least one week after their lip augmentation. Side effects associated with Restylane or Juvederm (hyaluronic acid) injections include bruising, redness, swelling and pain and occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Time and patience will most likely lead to a perfect outcome...swelling is very common

after lip injections and resolves within several days to a week or so...but some issues...injecting into a highly vascular area / lots of small and large vessels...temporarily injures the vessels and makes them leaky...and when you go to the gym and vigorously work out too soon after treatment...you almost assure more swelling and bleeding into the area than you want...so in the future, exercise after a day or two...better to simply apply ice to close the vessels after treatment...and it looks like you probably need some filler into your lower lip to optimize your appearance...so the unevenness of the right and left sides will most likely equalize within a week or so...otherwise easily improved

Ken Landow, MD

Swelling after filler is normal.

Everything should be fine with your lips in a few days.  The fact that they were even when you left the office is a good indicator that they will be even when the swelling goes down.  It is not unusual for one side to swell more than the other.  Sometimes it can be associated with some bruising that may develop leter.  I recommned ice compresses  and benadryl to help the swelling go away.  Most swelling is resolved within 2-3 days.  A bruise will take longer to resolve.  Certainly if the swelling does not go down, call you doctors office.

Heather Haley, MD
Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

It is not uncommon to have swelling and bruising after fillers are injected for lip augmentation. It is too soon to judge the result of your treatment. At this point, just call the office alert them to your concerns and be patient. You may need a touch up as well.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

1 Day Post Lip Enhancement

This is completely normal. When having any injections done, there is always a chance of swelling and/or bruising. It's best to give it a full week and if there is still puffiness or unevenness go back for a touch up. If you are unhappy for whatever reason, you can always have it dissolved.

Dennis Gross, MD

Side Effects after LIp Enhancement

Patients typically experience some minor swelling that lasts a day or two. In some cases, there could be excessive bruising especially for patients who bruise more easily than others. Some medications, if taken regularly, can increase the risk of bruising as well (fish oil, aspirin, vitamin e, etc.).
Any bruising should be easily masked with make-up.  Results are immediate, so you will notice instant improvement!

#RestylaneSILK   #Juvadermforlips   #lipenhancementtreatments

Side Effects of Lip Augmentation

Patients typically experience some minor swelling that lasts a day or two. In rare cases, there could be minor bruising. Some patients bruise more easily than others. Some medications, if taken regularly, can increase the risk of bruising as well (fish oil, aspirin, vitamin e, etc.). Any bruising should be easily masked with make-up. Results are immediate, so you will notice instant improvement!

Restylane can produce swelling in the lip as can Juvaderm since they are both hyaluronic acids and hydrophilic(water loving). This means that water is drawn into the area.This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with ice, benadryl orally and time. Contact your provider  if the swelling persists or if you have increased pain.

#lipfiller   #lipfillerswelling  #RestylaneSILK

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Juvederm lip swelling

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day. This is due to all the swelling that ensues. It may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have. I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that. If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture. This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.

Swelling normal after injections

Swelling is normal and can be asymmetric. Keep your head elevated to help ease swelling, particularly when sleeping. You can use a few pillows to prop your head up. You can also use cool, soft, flexible ice packs (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day. Do not keep it on for too long to minimize the risk of frostbite (since your lips may be numb you won't be able to feel the cold as much). If it doesn't improve after a week or so, please see your injector for an assessment.