1 Day Post Lip Augmentation: Partial and Uneven Swelling

Hi, I had a lip augmentation (with hyraluronic acid) yesterday,only uppler lip, a low dose (half shot) to even my lips and fill the upper right part got thinner by age. When i left the Doctors practice all was perfect, no swelling, no bruise. i went to gym then dinner but after 6 hours right side started to swell. now there is a big difference with right and left. is it nomal? can it be removed? thank you for your time.

Uneven Swelling One Day After Lip Augmentation With Restylane or Juvederm

I warn all of my patients not to make any "final" decisions until at least one week after their lip augmentation. Side effects associated with Restylane or Juvederm (hyaluronic acid) injections include bruising, redness, swelling and pain and occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. 

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Swellinga fter lip augmentation with fillers is very common

IMHO, you shouldn't throw yourself into a panic because your upper lip has swelling after fillers to the lip.  It's normal and very typical, especially if you had strenous activity right after the injections...which increased the blood supply to the lip.  Call the MD who did the injections for his/her instructions...we would have you apply ice to the area for the next day or so.  Hope this helps and be sure to have a layer of cloth (tee shirt or pillow case) between the bag of ice and your lip so it doesn't burn your lip.

Lip augmentation

It is not uncommon to have swelling and bruising after fillers are injected for lip augmentation. It is too soon to judge the result of your treatment. At this point, just call the office alert them to your concerns and be patient. You may need a touch up as well.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Side Effects of Lip Augmentation

Patients typically experience some minor swelling that lasts a day or two. In rare cases, there could be minor bruising. Some patients bruise more easily than others. Some medications, if taken regularly, can increase the risk of bruising as well (fish oil, aspirin, vitamin e, etc.). Any bruising should be easily masked with make-up. Results are immediate, so you will notice instant improvement!

Restylane can produce swelling in the lip as can Juvaderm since they are both hyaluronic acids and hydrophilic(water loving). This means that water is drawn into the area.This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with ice, benadryl orally and time. Contact your provider  if the swelling persists or if you have increased pain.

#lipfiller   #lipfillerswelling  #RestylaneSILK

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Swelling after filler is normal.

Everything should be fine with your lips in a few days.  The fact that they were even when you left the office is a good indicator that they will be even when the swelling goes down.  It is not unusual for one side to swell more than the other.  Sometimes it can be associated with some bruising that may develop leter.  I recommned ice compresses  and benadryl to help the swelling go away.  Most swelling is resolved within 2-3 days.  A bruise will take longer to resolve.  Certainly if the swelling does not go down, call you doctors office.

Heather Haley, MD
Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling After Lip Filler

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to experience swelling after filler injections into the lips, however this should resolve in the next 2 weeks. I always advise my patients to ice the treated area to help resolve swelling in the lips. You can also gently massage the swollen area to help smooth it out. Please consult your injector if this persists after two weeks. All the best! 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Tips for reducing swelling after lip injection

Don't worry. Swelling is a common side effect after lip injections, especially within the first 24 to 48 hours, and it will subside. Icing the lips immediately after injections and repeated sessions of icing on the lips for the first 24 hours can help relieve symptoms quicker. Elevated sleeping the first night is also recommended to reduce any swelling. The lips take about 2 weeks to settle with the new product in them. Be patient with your results, because the rate at which people heal and recover varies. If after 2 weeks, you are still not content with the results, consult your physician. 

Hyaluronidaise can be used to quickly melt the injectable filler and return to the pre-injection appearance.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Lip Swelling After Exercise

Dear minasom:

Lip swelling after augmentation with fillers is a common occurrence, especially after exercise.  Best treatment course would be to apply ice 5 minutes every 30-60 minutes for the first 1-2 days and follow up with your physician in 1-2 weeks.  Hope this information is helpful.

Praven Chetty, MD
Kelowna Physician

Lip Filler and Swelling

In the future it is always best to avoid strenuous activity after facial injections since this can contribute to swelling.  Ice and sleep with your head elevated and the swelling should resolve in several days.  If you are still unhappy with the results then Vitrase can be used to remove the product.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Swelling is an expected and very common side effect after lip injections.

Swelling is common and expected after lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid filler. Going to the gym may have made the swelling worse, but what you’re experiencing is normal. Ice your lip, keep your head elevated, and avoid strenuous activity until the swelling has subsided, which normally takes anywhere from a few days to two weeks.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist