1 Day Post Lip Augmentation: Partial and Uneven Swelling

Hi, I had a lip augmentation (with hyraluronic acid) yesterday,only uppler lip, a low dose (half shot) to even my lips and fill the upper right part got thinner by age. When i left the Doctors practice all was perfect, no swelling, no bruise. i went to gym then dinner but after 6 hours right side started to swell. now there is a big difference with right and left. is it nomal? can it be removed? thank you for your time.

Uneven Swelling One Day After Lip Augmentation With Restylane or Juvederm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I warn all of my patients not to make any "final" decisions until at least one week after their lip augmentation. Side effects associated with Restylane or Juvederm (hyaluronic acid) injections include bruising, redness, swelling and pain and occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. 

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Swellinga fter lip augmentation with fillers is very common

IMHO, you shouldn't throw yourself into a panic because your upper lip has swelling after fillers to the lip.  It's normal and very typical, especially if you had strenous activity right after the injections...which increased the blood supply to the lip.  Call the MD who did the injections for his/her instructions...we would have you apply ice to the area for the next day or so.  Hope this helps and be sure to have a layer of cloth (tee shirt or pillow case) between the bag of ice and your lip so it doesn't burn your lip.

Lip augmentation

It is not uncommon to have swelling and bruising after fillers are injected for lip augmentation. It is too soon to judge the result of your treatment. At this point, just call the office alert them to your concerns and be patient. You may need a touch up as well.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Side Effects of Lip Augmentation

Patients typically experience some minor swelling that lasts a day or two. In rare cases, there could be minor bruising. Some patients bruise more easily than others. Some medications, if taken regularly, can increase the risk of bruising as well (fish oil, aspirin, vitamin e, etc.). Any bruising should be easily masked with make-up. Results are immediate, so you will notice instant improvement!

Restylane can produce swelling in the lip as can Juvaderm since they are both hyaluronic acids and hydrophilic(water loving). This means that water is drawn into the area.This is usually a temporary problem that will resolve with ice, benadryl orally and time. Contact your provider  if the swelling persists or if you have increased pain.

#lipfiller   #lipfillerswelling  #RestylaneSILK

Swelling after filler is normal.

Everything should be fine with your lips in a few days.  The fact that they were even when you left the office is a good indicator that they will be even when the swelling goes down.  It is not unusual for one side to swell more than the other.  Sometimes it can be associated with some bruising that may develop leter.  I recommned ice compresses  and benadryl to help the swelling go away.  Most swelling is resolved within 2-3 days.  A bruise will take longer to resolve.  Certainly if the swelling does not go down, call you doctors office.

Heather Haley, MD
Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling is expected

Swelling after lip injections is expected. Sometimes the swelling is not identical between the sides. We always wait 2 weeks before dissolving or touch ups to allow swelling to resolve first. In the future, take the day off from the gym to avoid making the swelling worse and ice the area diligently the first 1-2 nights. If asymmetry persists after 2 weeks, then a touch up or dissolving solution can be used. 

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD

Swelling After Lip Injections

Swelling is completely normal and expected following hyaluronic injections. If your right upper lip was thinner than the left, then your Doctor injected more filler in this area to help even it out. The filler attracts water wherever it's injected, which causes the area to swell. The swelling usually peaks around 24-48 hours. Icing the area can help reduce swelling and discomfort. I tell my patients to wait 2 weeks until you have your final result. If you're still unhappy at 2 weeks, I recommend following up with your doctor. 

Dr. McCune

Mark A. McCune, MD
Overland Park Dermatologic Surgeon

Partial and Uneven Swelling after Lip Augmentation

Swelling is a normal after effect of most hyaluronic filler injections. Patients often experience some swelling that will last anywhere from 24 to 48 hours after the injection procedure. At times, there may also be bruising, but this is quite rare. Swelling and bruising are temporary. They often resolve on their own.

For your case, you mentioned that everything seemed fine after the procedure and that no after effect was experienced. You also mentioned that you worked out after. This may have caused the swelling as strenuous activities can trigger swelling.

To manage swelling for faster healing, you can ice the affected area very gently. Do this especially in the first 24 hours post injection. Ice the area 10 to 15 minutes every 3 hours when you are awake. Do not apply the ice directly. Wrap it in cloth so that the ice does not touch your skin. Elevate your head when sleeping as this will reduce lip swelling, too. Should the swelling continue for a few more days and/or be accompanied by increasing pain, consult your doctor immediately.

Hope this helps!

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lip enhancement

It is not uncommon for swelling to occur a few hours after you have had injections. While it may take about 2 days for the swelling to go down, the results are long-lasting. Most clients need 1-2 syringes for a dramatic effect, but some require more. This depends on the amount of product you need to achieve your desired lip volume. Lip augmentation requires a great deal of precision and skill and can really alter the balance of your face when done poorly. If you have questions or concerns, it is recommended that you contact your provider as soon as possible! Best of luck!

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Swelling After Lip Filler

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to experience swelling after filler injections into the lips, however this should resolve in the next 2 weeks. I always advise my patients to ice the treated area to help resolve swelling in the lips. You can also gently massage the swollen area to help smooth it out. Please consult your injector if this persists after two weeks. All the best! 

Hardik Soni, MD (not currently practicing)
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician