When lip injections wear off, will your lips look more wrinkled and deflated from being stretched out?

I really want lip injection but I'm worried that if i didn't keep up with them they'd look worse than before. Do the lips look the same as before after the injections wear off or are they slightly more wrinkled and deflated from the skin being stretched?

Hello, and thank you for the question. When the filler from a lip augmentation wears off, your lips will not appear worse. They will look the way they did prior to the injections. When having lip augmentation with filler,  I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. Each is a fantastic choice. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Your lips go back to the way they were before

Once your lip fillers wear off, your lips go back to the way they were before.  You don't need to worry about looking worse, although you may feel like it because you forgot what you used to look like and you became used to the fuller lip look

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lip Augmentation and long term results

Lip Augmentation will remove wrinkles and plump up the lips.  When the product wears off your lips will return to what they were before.  They do not get stretched out or form new wrinkles.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in facial cosmetic injections for the best results.

Will lips look worse after the injections have worn off?

The question of whether or not filler treatments will increase the risk of worsening of the lines after the filler has worn off has come up frequently. In my experience, the opposite has been the case. Lip wrinkles can be made to disappear using the new hyaluronic acid fillers such as Belotero, Juvederm and Restylane which give a completely natural look. These fillers can also stimulate the production of your own collagen which can give an even longer lasting result. I have never seen an instance where I felt that the treatment made things worse after it wore off. Quite to the contrary, I feel that fillers not only eliminate lines but will also prevent new ones from forming. Eventually, when all of the filler is gone, I believe you will still be much improved and will be better off than if you had no treatments at all.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Injections Do Not Cause Lip Wrinkles

When your lip injections wear off, they will return to what they looked like before. Injections alone do not create enough stretch to cause lip wrinkles.

What lips look like after the filler has worn off

No, if you don't keep up with filler, your lips don't usually look worse. They just return to the normal baseline they were before you started.  This is provided that you do not use a permanent filler which can be dangerous.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have these treatments.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Lips don't get worse when you stop fillers.

Lips look great with fillers and implants and don't get worse than they started with if you decide to stop doing fillers. Restylane or juvederm $550/syringe and implants $1500-2000 each.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Do #Juvederm #lip #injections "stretch out" or distort the lips ?

I have not seen this in the past. Conservative lip injections involve 1 syringe (2 if significant volume is needed) only add 1 (or 2) mL of volume. This is a small amount and if injected properly should not stretch or distort the lip tissue. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Filler

I agree with Dr. Waldman. Unless you had your lips injected with a dramatic, unnatural amount of filler, there should be absolutely no issues once the filler wears off.

Daniel P. Friedmann, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Fillers

It has not been our experience that there is actually less wrinkling of the lips even months or years after a filler has been injected.  There is certainly some fibrotic changes from needle trauma that result in some augmentation and filling on a more permanent basis.  And in spite of what we have been told it is our belief that some of the  changes that occur with appropriate and repeated use of fillers can be permanent.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon