Laser Hair Removal For Indian Skin on Bikini Area?

hi , my complexion is wheatish and i am an indian. i want to get laser hair removal on my bikini area. can you suggest which technology to go for that is safe and effective.

Laser Hair Removal for Indian Skin

A Long Pulsed nd Yag laser will be the best and safest for dark skin. Many people of Indian descent are surprised and delighted by how well laser hair removal can work on darker skin - provided the appropriate laser is used. be sure to find a medical facility with an on site supervising physician. You may also wish to have a spot test prior to your treatment.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Indian Bikini Area

The bikini area in olive/ wheatish complexions requires adaquete cooling to make hair removal comfortable for patients.  Indian hair tends to be coarser and requires appropriate fluence or power and wavelength.  Nd:YAG tends to require more treatments as it is not as efficient as newer generation diode lasers.  In my office's experience, diode lasers tend to be effective and safe at removing Indian hair.  IPL is not a good treatment option, particularly for Indian hair removal, as the level of power to treat hair effectively is typically not safe on Indian skin types.  IPL also takes much longer than diode laser system

There is no single best laser system, but characteristics of a good laser hair removal office and laser are as follows for Indian hair removal

-Experience treating Indian Skin- Staff must be knowledgable about Indian Skin and understand how to treat it.  If the fluence is too low, more hair can result (hypertrichosis) rather than hair loss

-Proper wavelength- Diode and Nd:YAG are the two best lasers for Indian hair removal.  In my office, we prefer the diode as it requires less sessions and tends to be more effective in targeting and treating hair (more hair removed per session)

-Appropriate cooling- All laser systems need cooling to provide safety and comfort.  Uncomfortable laser hair removal tends to result in lower laser hair settings and can cause actual more hair to occur rather than less hair.

Hope that is helpful.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal for Ethnic Skin

Thank you for your question. Nd Yag laser hair removal technology is safe for ethnic skin.  I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.