How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost?

I get a lot of razor bumps on my legs and so I want to try laser hair removal to see if that will fix my problem.  I know it won't be cheap, but what is the cost of laser hair removal?  Is there any way to tell how many laser hair treatments I will probably need before commiting to several treatments up front?

How much does Laser Hair Removal Cost?

Laser hair removal prices vary from city to city, region to region. Find a provider that is good and reputable, and don’t skimp on price because that is when I see the most problems — and we don’t want problems. People offer specials to get you in the door, and most of the times these people are the least educated about laser hair removal. The costs vary, but over the years they have become much more reasonable so that laser hair removal for most people is affordable today.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost?

There are many variables that determine the cost of laser hair removal: type and color of hair, size of the area, etc.  Typically multiple treatments are needed, usually between 5-8 depending on area and length of growth cycle.  At the time this question is being answered, individual laser hair removal sessions begin at $75, and we do occasionally offer special pricing in our monthly email newsletters.  As always, consult a certified practitioner for an individual consultation, preferably someone who is supervised by a board certified plastic surgeon, and be wary of any company that advertises extremely low prices.

Cost for hair removal

Cost of hair removal varies by area and the size of the area. It also depends how thick your hair is, and how many sessions you really need.

Laser Hair Removal Cost

It all depends on the hair density we usually do a patch test to give a quote but it could start from $150 per area. It also depends on the practice and the city that you live on.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

The cost of laser hair removal

Laser hair removal price is dependant on the amount of time needed to treat the desired area.  Larger areas and dense hair need more and longer treatments.  The larger the area or more hair to be removed the more expensive it is.  Laser hair removal is generally sold in packages of treatments since the average area takes many treatments for a good result.  Our practice sells packages of 8 treatments with free touch ups to the area over 2 years.  This ensures the maximum result to the area.  Prices of the package can range from $400 to $1500.

LASER Hair Removal Cost

Laser hair removal varies tremendously from provider to provider.  Keep in mind that cost- although an important consideration, should not be the sole factor in choosing a provider.  Most laser hair is around $150-200 per area per session with an area defined as back, legs, bikini, face, etc.  Many practices offer specials if you inquire.  Factors to consider outside of cost:

-Type of machine- Make sure the type of laser hair machine is up to date and works well with your skin type

-Physician oversight- A physician should be closely involved with laser settings communicating frequently with laser providers about appropriate safety

-Facility- Does the facility appear to look like they are capable of handling medical procedures and lasers

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost?

There are many factors that determine the cost of laser hair removal. One factor is the size of the area. Depending on the size of the area determines how many treatments are needed. Most clients need 6-9 sessions for an area to see optimal results. treatments are performed 4-8 weeks apart. Cost can range anywhere from $100 per session for a small area such as the chin to $650 per session for a full leg. Often times providers may offer discounts on the purchase of a package or multiple areas. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Average Cost of Laser Hair Removal

The cost for laser hair removal depends on a lot of different factors. Where you live geographically could be one factor, as well as the type of technology and the size of the area or areas being treated. Larger areas of treatment take a long time in the treatment room. All of these things will play a roll in the cost  for laser hair removal. You should always choose a reputable medical spa within a dermatology or plastic surgery office as your first choice. They can oversee the clinician doing the treatment and have probably put a lot of time into researching the best technology on the market.

W. John Bull, MD

Pricing for Laser Hair Removal

There are several factors that contribute to the cost of laser hair removal including what area is being treated, the efficiency of the device, your location, how long does the procedure take, the experience of the technician, and if you are having multiple areas treated in the same appointment.  We usually recommend a minimum of 6 treatments, but it may take more; and maintenance treatments are not uncommon.  The reasoning, put simply, is the hairs are on a rotation and in many different phases of the growth cycle, and laser treatments are most effective when the hair itself is still in contact with the follicle.  In order to maximize the overall amount of hair reduction, we must target each of the rotations during that initial growth phase.  Most places will offer a discount for purchasing the treatments in a package, and may or may not offer a sliding scale when treating multiple areas.  To get more specific pricing, shop around your area.  Keep in mind there are several types of lasers utilized for laser hair removal, so it is best to start with a consultation.  

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair removal costs

Hair removal prices vary by city and state. The best way to determine exactly what you need is by having a consultation with a licensed esthetician.  At my practice, most patients typically require 6-8 treatments to see optimal results.