How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost?

I get a lot of razor bumps on my legs and so I want to try laser hair removal to see if that will fix my problem.  I know it won't be cheap, but what is the cost of laser hair removal?  Is there any way to tell how many laser hair treatments I will probably need before commiting to several treatments up front?

How much does Laser Hair Removal Cost?

Laser hair removal prices vary from city to city, region to region. Find a provider that is good and reputable, and don’t skimp on price because that is when I see the most problems — and we don’t want problems. People offer specials to get you in the door, and most of the times these people are the least educated about laser hair removal. The costs vary, but over the years they have become much more reasonable so that laser hair removal for most people is affordable today.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost?

There are many variables that determine the cost of laser hair removal: type and color of hair, size of the area, etc.  Typically multiple treatments are needed, usually between 5-8 depending on area and length of growth cycle.  At the time this question is being answered, individual laser hair removal sessions begin at $75, and we do occasionally offer special pricing in our monthly email newsletters.  As always, consult a certified practitioner for an individual consultation, preferably someone who is supervised by a board certified plastic surgeon, and be wary of any company that advertises extremely low prices.

Thomas McFadden, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal Cost

It all depends on the hair density we usually do a patch test to give a quote but it could start from $150 per area. It also depends on the practice and the city that you live on.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Laser Hair Removal and Cost

The cost for laser hair removal depends on many factors including where the laser is being performed, the type of treatment, and who is doing the procedure.  If you are having a board certified dermatologist with a state of the art laser performing your procedure it will likely be more than in another setting where someone unskilled may be performing the procedure.  Laser hair also varies by the site of the body having the laser performed.  For example a small area of the body which takes a few minutes may be $200 but a larger area of the body which can take longer will be more expensive. Please consult an expert since you want to avoid laser burns or other complications.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Cost of Laser Hair Removal

Laser hair removal costs depends on the size of the area, the number of treatments you will need, the geographical area you are in and also the provider and the type of laser that is used.   Large areas tend to cost more and will take longer per treatment.  Usually patients will go thru a series of 6-8 treatments on a regular schedule until they go on maintenance.  By then the hair is growing much less and the intervals between treatments are prolonged.  At some point, you will not need to come back for maintenance.  Be sure to go to a provider that is reputable.

Suzanne Yee, MD
Little Rock Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal Cost

The cost for the legs can vary from city to city and state to state. I have seen treatment packages ranging from $399 -$3000 for 5-6 treatments. In my experience of over 15 years it will take a minimum of 4-6 treatments, which should be done 6 weeks apart. This will give you an avarage of 80% reduction in the amount of hair.

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

How much does Laser Hair Removal cost?

The cost of this treatment varies by region.    For permanent hair reduction, a series of treatments is necessary, so you would be looking at purchasing a "package" of treatments.  Doing this will give you a better value for your money.  The light-based technology emits gentle pulses of energy directly into the skin and hair follicles responsible for hair growth. This light heats the follicle, which absorbs the energy, is destroyed, and unable to produce hair again. You will experience only a light snapping sensation against your skin. Hair color, texture, and density can affect how many treatments will be needed, but typically you will have good results with 5-8 treatments.  Since you inquired about hair removal for your legs, in our area the average cost for 6 sessions of full leg hair removal is around 2600.00.

Ramon Peleaux, DDS, MD
Charlotte Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

How much does laser hair removal cost?

Due to increasing popularity and a wide range of treatment options, the cost for laser hair removal has become drastically more affordable over the years. Still, treatment costs will vary depending on the areas being treated and the number of sessions needed.

Prior to treatment a reputable practice will bring you in for a thorough consultation to explain the procedure, give clear pre- and post-treatment advice and assess your session requirements. At that point, the staff should also provide you with an estimate for service costs. At my Vancouver cosmetic surgery practice, we use a virtually pain-free piece of technology called the Soprano Ice, with a cost at approximately $50 to $200 CAD per session depending on the size of the area and how coarse the hair is. An individual may require between four and eight sessions.

It is also important to note that laser hair removal is a treatment whose success depends in large part on patient compliance. The timing of these sessions is critical, so to spend money on a few sessions rather than a complete course and then stop would be wasteful. If you map out a budget and timeline in advance, this can be a very successful procedure.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

LASER Hair Removal Cost

Laser hair removal varies tremendously from provider to provider.  Keep in mind that cost- although an important consideration, should not be the sole factor in choosing a provider.  Most laser hair is around $150-200 per area per session with an area defined as back, legs, bikini, face, etc.  Many practices offer specials if you inquire.  Factors to consider outside of cost:

-Type of machine- Make sure the type of laser hair machine is up to date and works well with your skin type

-Physician oversight- A physician should be closely involved with laser settings communicating frequently with laser providers about appropriate safety

-Facility- Does the facility appear to look like they are capable of handling medical procedures and lasers

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost?

There are many factors that determine the cost of laser hair removal. One factor is the size of the area. Depending on the size of the area determines how many treatments are needed. Most clients need 6-9 sessions for an area to see optimal results. treatments are performed 4-8 weeks apart. Cost can range anywhere from $100 per session for a small area such as the chin to $650 per session for a full leg. Often times providers may offer discounts on the purchase of a package or multiple areas. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician