Xeomin vs botox and dysport?

Today for the first Time I got Xeomin, 50 units on my foreheads and around eye area. Last time, 6 months ago, I did 70 units of dysport on my forehead. Would like to know, is Xeomin as effective as dysport (which I prefer over botox), and what is the unit by unit wit dysport. And how many units of Botox equals to units of xeomin

Xeomin vs dysport vs botox

Botulinum toxin A comes in three different brands, the oldest and most marketed one being botox. Botox and Xeomin have been studied and have been found to be a 1:1 ratio. Dysport on the other hand is more like 2.5-3:1 ratio. It all depends on technique of injection, the patient's anatomy, and length of reconstitution.

Xeomin vs botox and dysport?

Hello, and thanks for your question. Botox and Xeomin are roughly equal in terms of dosing. Botox/Xeomin are 2.5 to 3 times stronger than Dysport. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Xeomin vs. botox vs dysport

They are different formulations but the mechanism of action is the same.  For most patients satisfactory results can be achieved with any of the three if dosed properly.  Botox works and is dosed the same as Xeomin while Dysport requires more units to have the same results.  

Xeomin vs botox and dysport?

I have always preferred Xeomin or Botox to dsyport just based on personal experience.  The doses of Xeomin and Botox are equivalent.  Most areas require about 20 units, sometimes slightly more or slightly less depending on the muscle strength.  It helps to avoid bruising if you avoid any blood thinning medicines for about ten to fourteen days before your injection.  Enjoy and best wishes....

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Xeomin vs Botox vs Dysport

All three of these are excellent products.  Botox has been around the longest and has by far the strongest brand recognition.  I use a lot of Xeomin in my practice as I find that it gives equivalent results to Botox and provides a great value to my patients.  The more important decision is which injector you choose and trust to inject your face. This is far more important than which of the three products you choose because they all work well in expert hands.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

#Botox in Williamsville, NY

Botox is the best product. It is considered the #RollsRoyce of neurotoxins. I do not use lesser products in my practice even though they have a price advantage/profit margin which is higher than Botox. 

Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Comparing units of botulism toxins

Xeomin and Botox are dosed in a 1:1 fashion, meaning if you were happy with 25 units of Botox, then you should be happy with 25 units of Xeomin.  

Dysport is trickier because it is dosed somewhere between 2.5 - 3 times the amount of Botox/Xeomin.  In my office, I use the 3x amount, especially since there are 300 units in a vial of dysport, compared to 100 units in a vial of Botox, and 100 units in a vial of Xeomin.

So for your scenario... 70 units of dysport / 3 = 23 units of botox/xeomin, but 70/2.5 = 28, so 70 units of dysport is approximately 23-28 units of the other two botulism toxins.

So six months ago, you had about the equivalent of 25 units of botox/xeomin in your forehead, and most recently you had BOTH your forehead and your Crow's feet treated with 50.   Do you know how many units went into your Crow's feet?  If you did, then a better comparison could be made.

Many patients feel that they can tell the difference between Botox and Xeomin and Dysport due to days until onset, intensity of action at time of onset, and longevity of result.  They are all close to each other.  A study can have up to a 20% difference either way (better or worse) in a generic drug, and in the pharmaceutical world it is still called "equivalent."  They are all safe.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Xeomin Effectiveness

Unit for unit, xeomin is equal to botox. It is mixed the same and administered the same. THE most important factor in determining you result is WHO places the medication. Assuming the toxin is mixed correctly, who puts it in is more important than the toxin itself (in my opinion). I would suggest that you only go to a practitioner who administers this medication on a daily basis. I would steer clear of non-cosmetic practitioners (ie family docs who provide this service).

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Comparison of Xeomin, Botox and Dysport

Thank you for sharing your good question. These products are all effective, but from my experience, Xeomin does not seem to last as long as the other two. It is probably more important to choose a very experienced doctor than selecting which product to use. Good luck.

Botox, Xeomin, Dysport Unit Comparisons

1 Unit Botox = 1 Unit Xeomin
2.5 Units Dysport = 1 Unit Botox/Xeomin

So in your case, the previous 70 Units of Dysport = approximately 28 units of Xeomin.

Hope this helps.

Shelena Lalji, MD
Sugar Land OB/GYN