Will I have to have my implant removed one day due to this? Everything I read says I will.

I am having a bout with mastitis on my left breast 6 months post op and 1 month post miscarriage. I had a breast aug through the nipple, 6 months ago. I healed wonderfully. Fast forward 6 months later, I miscarried with twins and now have mastitis that is responding to antibiotics.  

Mastitis

Having mastitis does not mean your implants will need to be removed.  In most cases, your infection will resolve and everything will be fine.  Rarely, your implant could become infected as well.  You may be at risk for contracture of your implant.  Please see your plastic surgeon for a follow up at some point so he or she can check up on things.

Aloha,

Shim Ching, MD

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Mastitis

The fact that your mastitis is being treated with antibiotics and is resolving you are heading in the right direction. There is a possibility you may develop a capsular contracture so I would move your implants around your pocket on a regular basis. If any tightness is appreciated I would bring this to the attention of your plastic surgeon immediately as there may be conservative ways to address this prior to reoperating.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Implant Removal

I would not assume you would need to remove the implant. If your mastitis is resolving, then you should be fine. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Mastitis after BBA

Hi

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. It is  by no means certain that you will develop Capsular Contracture or that the implant will need removing as a result of the infection. The implant is likely to be well sealed behind the capsule and so hopefully with appropriate antibiotic treatment you will be OK. See your PS for advice and aftercare

best wishes 

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Mastitis

Your breast augmentation may very well turn out to be OK.  Stay with your plastic surgeon and follow their recommendation.  Treat with antibiotics and follow closely.  Unless the implant itself becomes infected, it will probably respond and be fine.  You may be at some increased risk for developing a capsular contracture, however.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Mastitis

Sorry to hear about your recent problems with your breasts. I don't necessarily think you will have to have your implants removed. If the infection is confined to the overlying breast and has not gained access to the breast capsule surrounding your implant then there is a good chance that your implant remaining soft. Especially if you're healing satisfactorily on antibiotics. Should the breast suddenly become large and red, if you are my patient I would then do an ultrasound to see if any fluid exists around the implant. If this fluid can be removed and,cultured, appropriate antibiotic therapy still may allow you to keep the implant. What would make me think the implant would have to come out is if you developed an infection that was not getting better or severe capsular contracture. Stay in touch with your chosen plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Removing implant following mastitis

I appreciate your concern and am so sorry to hear about all the stresses you have been dealing with.  In response to your question over whether or not your implant will need to be removed, the answer is not necessarily.  The infection may be confined to the breast gland, skin, and/or subcutaneous tissue and may not be associated with the breast implant which is surrounded by a capsule.  If the infection resolves with a course of antibiotics and you otherwise feel fine with a normal exam, then there is no need to remove the implant.  If the infection worsens or does not respond to antibiotics, that may signal that the infection is deep enough that it involves the implant/capsule.  In that situation where the infection is not improving, removal may be appropriate.   I would advise you to stay in touch with your plastic surgeon and keep him/her aware of your progress.  I hope it works out for you!