Blood clot risk after standard breast augmentation? How long after until you're "in the clear"?

How long are you at an increased risk of blood clot(s) after surgery? I am healthy (weight, Bp, no diseases or conditions) my uncle has had a stroke but he's in his late 50's and has serval conditions such as high Bp, diabetes and he's an alcoholic. I'm wondering if I fly out of town for surgery how long I should plan on staying there before hoping on a quick hour flight back home?

Risks for DVT's after augmentation

is extremely rare... but when you have so many good plastic surgeons in Vegas, why are you leaving town?  Its always nicer to be close to your surgeon as you heal just in case something bad happens.  And I've had bleed occur 2-3 weeks post-op sometimes.  So my suggestion is to stay home and have your surgery at home.

Blood clot risk after standard breast augmentation?

The risk of a blood clot that is significant in the legs following breast augmentation is low if one does not have a family history or personal history of this but it is always possible. Usually this would occur within the first several days following surgery. Walking and doing weight exercises should help decrease the risk. Your surgeon may also wish that you stop oral contraceptives prior to surgery. He or she will also be able to help you decide when flying would be safe. This may also be influenced if you have any sinus problems. Be sure to exercise your feet while on the plane.

Blood clot

The risk of blood clots in healthy young women is low with surgery that typically lasts under a hour or two. Flying, especially a long flight, does increase your risks soon after surgery. You might consider choosing a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who will be able to follow your progress as you heal. Should you have any complications, your doctor will be able to see and treat you quickly if you choose one in your area.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Blood clot risk after breast augmentation

The answer to your question depends a lot on circumstances.  Generally speaking with early ambulation after surgery and a young healthy patient the risk of deep vein thrombosis is extremely small following breast augmentation.  This may change however if you have flown for more than 4 to 5 hours within 24 hours of the surgery as it is known that the blood becomes more coagulable.  We ask all of our traveling patients to arrive more than 24 hours before the surgical procedure for that reason.  The risk is certainly higher if you are flying to Asia or South America due to the length of the trip.
We ask our patients to stay within proximity of Los Angeles and Beverly Hills for the initial seven days to make sure that their recovery is smooth and uncomplicated.
I hope this provides some useful information for you.  Best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Risk of deep vein thrombosis

in general the risk for a DVT after a breast augmentation is low in a healthy patient. The risks does increase if you travel after surgery. I'm not sure how far you plan on traveling but this will play a role. If you are planning on leaving the Las Vegas area to have surgery I encourage you to see a local board-certified plastic surgeon  who will be able to care for you before, during and after your surgery.
Dr. Edwards