Walking after breast augmentation. Any suggestions?

I had 250cc under muscle breast augmentation three days ago. I have no pain, only a little pressure on my sternum. Is it ok to go for a slow walk around the block to get out of the house and stretch my legs a bit. I'm not taking any medication as I don't have any pain. I'm just tired of sitting on the couch and lying in bed. Don't want to power walk, or work out, just a little stroll to move my body. Thank you

Take a hike

As long as your are not vomiting and sick to your stomach, getting up and walking is great for your body, especially after minor surgery.  I have my patients start walking the day of surgery.  This will reduce the risk of blood clots and help keep your body loose.  I don't recommend running, jogging, or jumping as these activities can place too much stress on your incisions and chest muscles.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

Hi Betty
Going for a walk will be fine. You want to avoid strenuous exercise (such as running or aerobics) for 6-8 weeks to allow the capsule around your implant to mature and become stable enough to support your implant.
Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Walking After Breast Augmentation

Walking is definitely good for you and recommended. Strenuous exercise should be avoided for 4 to 6 weeks to avoid swelling and discomfort. Good luck

Miguel Delgado, MD

Walking after breast augmentation. Any suggestions? Perth, Australia

Thank you for your question. Absolutely, I encourage my patients to walk early after their breast augmentation surgery. It is important to maintain normal physiological blood flow through the legs to reduce your chances of getting blood clots in the legs. Remaining bed bound post surgery can actually be bad for you. By walking you are pushing blood through the veins of the legs and importantly standing upright and taking deep breathes helps to inflate the lungs. As long as you are taking it easy and essentially ambling post operative walking is a good thing.RegardsDr Guy Watts

Walking shortly after breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question! As another doctor has already stated - this is a great idea - and will probably help you mentally and physically feel better to be out in the sun for a little while. Of course, as you have already mentioned, avoid strenuous activity for now. Know your body's limits. And congratulations on completing your surgery!

Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD