Is it normal to have itchy feeling or little shock wave feelings after liposculpture?

I'm in my compression garments and I feel little shock waves threw my belly and back and sides and at the same time it kinda tickles and itches .. What do I do

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Itching after liposuction

This a very normal and common feeling, part of the healing after a liposuction. It does improve over the first few months after the procedure, and should not be cause of concern.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Lipo Recovery

Zingers and shocks are normal.  It may take a few months for that not to be a topic of conversation with your doctor. Itchiness usually last shorter and may be associated with your garment. Look into changing the garment. Benadryl may help. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Are itching or shock wave feelings normal?

Yes, perfectly normal. The subcutaneous space is healing. Those sensations will go away after days, weeks, or even several months sometimes. Keep in touch with your surgeon if you are unsure of anything you're experiencing.

You are fine

Hello, itching, hurting, or feeling strange tingling or shocking sensation are part of scaring. When you get liposuctioned you tissue heals inside forming fibrosis, all those feelings are part of that healing process going inside you. So you ll be fine and it will start fading away. Best wishes.

Luis Tactuk Simo, MD

Post Liposculpture

Both the itching and shock sensation are completely normal and apart of the healing process. It should go away over time. 

Dr. JSB

Itching & Shooters after Liposculpture

Very good question!  This is completely normal and expected.  Both are a result of the nerve endings that attach to the skin.  During the normal process of liposuction/liposculpture the nerve endings to the skin are disrupted.  The start re-attaching within weeks after surgery and the process is usually complete after about four months.  As part of this normal healing process patients all experience both a "deep" itching" and something called "Shooters," which are the "shock waves" that you are experiencing.

Normal sensations

These are normal sensations after liposculpture surgery and will go away over the next month or so.  The compression actually helps in this regard.

Liposculpture and Shocks After Treatment

Some people get whole body sensations after energy based liposuction procedures (smartlipo, vaser etc).  there are treatment options, please speak to your physician.  Itching is normal and apart of my consent form, this is due to the healing after the procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer.