I Have a Rather Large Overbite with Crowded Lower Teeth. Would I Be a Good Candidate for Invisalign? (photo)

I understand that the overbite will probably not be able to be eliminated. This is something I can live with. My priority is the bottom front teeth, especially the one that is located behind the others. On top of not liking the appearance, it has led to issues with sensitive teeth and difficulty flossing. I am fairly happy with my upper teeth. The first photo is the natural, relaxed state of my jaw. The only unrelaxed part is the lip I am keeping down to show the extent of my overbite.

Doctor Answers 5

Large overbites need more than braces or Invisalign

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Large overbites need more than braces or Invisalign.  Your situation will need functional facial orthopedic structural changes.  You have a complex situation, very overclosed, narrow dental arches, extensive wear on anterior teeth.  You likely have a major clenching problem with headaches, and neck/back problems all do to the relationship of your teeth and jaw structures.  This is too complex to evaluate overall treatment on this site but if you are inclined to do some research on this, you could read my book "Straight Talk about Crooked Teeth"available on Amazon.  The book shows examples of deep bite cases on pages 54 and 153.  Good luck to you.

Correcting a deep overbite with Invisalign

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is the the key to correcting a case like yours with Invisalign: notice your lower canine teeth, they are positioned inward relative to the back teeth. Invisalign works very well at proclining teeth, leaning them forward or outward. I envision proclining and expanding your lower cuspids, which would prop your bite open, improving the overbite. Less overbite means room to procline and uncrowd your lower teeth. During treatment you may develop an open bite in the back, which may close on it's own depending on your age, tongue position etc, or may need to be corrected with elastics.

Seek a consultation with an experienced Invisalign Orthodontist in your area. Expect treatment for both arches. Single arch treatment typically complicates the orthodontics in the vast majority of cases.

Rob van den Berg, DDS, MS
San Ramon Orthodontist

Invisalign for crowding and overbite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you only want to align your lower front teeth Invisalign will work.  However, your major overbite will remain largely uncorrected.  So the time and money you spend on orthodontics will not go as far toward improving the long term health of your teeth and jaw as it could.  If you do just Invisalign and then switch dentists, expect the following conversation .... Dr:  "You need to see an orthodontist to corrrect your overbite."  You:  "I already spent $5000 and used up my insurance benefits aligning my bottom teeth."  It's up to you, of course, and you will benefit from getting several opinions about your case.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Wow, look at all that extra bone your body has manufactured around your lower teeth! That is called buccal buttressing and is built by your boday in response to oclusal trauma, clenching, grinding things like that. Your mouth needs to be assessed by a very experienced dental professional. You should go online and check out the DNA appliance. That might be an answer.

Dr. Sue Wendling

Sue Wendling, DMD
Portland Dentist

Invisalign for Crooked teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It looks like you have a quite a bit of crowding on your lower teeth as well as a deep overbite.  Invisalign could be done on virtually anyone but I really dont think you are very good candidate.  Your teeth would have a tendency to "flare" forward on the bottom and hit into the backs of your upper front teeth.  Braces would be a better alternative to correct both the crowding and the overbite at the same time.  Adult braces are very common (my practice is just below 40% adults) in most orthodontic practices.  Damon braces would be a very good choice for your case you can even locate a doctor in your area that uses them.  Good Luck!!

Scott Vincent, DMD, MS
Sandy Orthodontist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.