Large Mons Pubis, What Procedure? (Photo)

I have always had a large mons pubis since teenage years (friends and family say its normal, but I see it as abnormally pudgy). Now that I am old enough and able to be confident about my decision, I would like to seriously consider opting to have it reduced. I was told even with losing weight, the mons pubis doesn't shrink. I am determined to lose weight and would love to reward myself this way. Currently I am 185 lbs., 23 and 5' 7". What surgery/procedure would be best - what is recommended?

Doctor Answers 19

Thick and saggy mons pubic

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have two conditions and definitely related to genetics and overweight is aggravating the problem: thick or fatty pubic area and saggy mons. 
Liposuction will help a lot on reducing the volume, but if the mons pubic is saggy on certain degree it will be looking saggier. 
So the perfect procedure will be liposuction and a lift, and this last procedure is done using a short incision above the area like a C section incision. 
Be encouraged. You will be loving to wear tight jeans, skirts or dresses without feeling ashamed. 
Dr. Cardenas

Mons Pubis Fullness

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Mons Pubis fullness can be a problem at all weights and may or may not respond adequately to weight-loss. Isolated fullness can be treated with contouring using liposuction.  However, if you have had very significant fullness for many years, you may also need a lift of the area by removing some skin through what would be like a mini-tummy tuck-like incision.  This would be done to assure that the Mons Pubis does not appear overly droopy or is to far down positioned.  To get an idea of what is right for you, it is well worth your time to meet with a Board-Certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate your skin tone and make recommendations accordingly.  Dr. B

Ramin Behmand, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Large Mons Pubis, What Procedure?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is not unusual for the pubic area to be an area of concern. This area may be large ( prominent) , ptotic (low), or deflated.     Based on your pictures you may benefit from direct excision of skin and subcutaneous tissues plus/minus liposuction surgery.  If you are considering tummy tuck surgery at sometime in the future,  you may want to wait on having any surgery on the pubic area done at this time. Prior to any type of body contouring surgery it will be in your best interest to achieve a long-term stable weight.  This  will help to minimize the chances that further surgery will be necessary in the event of future weight loss.

I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  You will find that  your questions regarding the financial arrangements  will be addressed also.

Best wishes.

Full mons

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your picture. This can be improved. I believe that liposuction and removal of some of your mons would be most beneficial. Personel consultation with several plastic surgeons is advised.

Treatment of a Large Mons Pubis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
At your height and weight, the first thing you need to do is lose weight. That may help, but will definitely improve the appearance with the significant separation between it and the protuberant abdomen. If you are still unhappy after your waist has normalized, then liposuction or a surgical reduction would be indicated. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Mons pubis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I see this all the time here at my Severna Park office. I would definitely see what happens with weight loss, but as is it could be treated with liposuction. As noted by another doc it could be done at time of tummy tuck too. But if not planning TT then liposuction alone should really help. Best of luck to you. 

Mons reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and your photos.  There is indeed some variation in where people carry their excess fat.  In your case, it may be true that losing weight may still leave you with an unfavorable contour to the mons area.  You may benefit from liposuction to the mons to improve the contour, or from direct excision of fat from the area (especially if performed at the same time as a tummy tuck). Either method, in the experienced hands of a board-certified plastic surgeon, should provide a nice improvement to this area.

Liposuction is great for reducing a large mons pubis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I have successfully performed liposuction in this area and it really helps to flatten it out nicely.  Sometimes, however, a tummy tuck is required in addition to the liposuction if a "lift" of the mons pubis is required.  This is most common in women and men who have lost a significant amount of weight or in women after childbirth.  Thanks for your question!

Dr. Schreiber

Baltimore plastic surgeon

Large mons pubis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The usual treatments include liposuction and surgical reduction/lifting. You may require both and should decide this with your surgeon at the time of consultation. Best wishes.

Janet Woodyard, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

VASER and Pubic lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thanks for your photos.

You would benefit from VASER or liposuction and Pubic lifting.
For the abdominal Wall a mini Tummy tuck is the best choice.
First, lose weight for a best outcome.

Felipe Muñoz, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.