My implant on my right side has clearly flipped and it really hurts (Photo)

What can be done to correct my flipped implant implants are 420cc and I have.had them.for 6 years now I felt and implant flip about a year after getting them recently my breast is in more and more pain if I lean forward uou can clearly see my implant is sideways and it hurts tremendously under the implant I have to wear a tight fitting bra or I feel awful pain what are my options please help

Doctor Answers 8

See your surgeon

Please see your surgeon for an in person examination to determine what may be going on. Best of luck. 


Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 457 reviews

My implant on my right side has clearly flipped and it really hurts

Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination to understand what exactly is going on.  I agree that he may have developed a capsular contracture on the left side needs to be examined.

My implant on my right side has clearly flipped and it really hurts.

Hello!  Thank you for your question and photos! I do agree that there is some asymmetry from one breast to another and a deformity.   It appears that you have round, saline implants, for which a complete turn would make no difference and it would be unlikely to turn just half way and be on its side. A round, silicone implant or a shaped implant would show a difference if it turned completely as there is a sidedness to them.  Regardless, you should be evaluated by a plastic surgeon for examination. There are various reasons for your issues. In addition to the potential for implant rotation, rupture and capsular contracture are certainly other possibilities.  Further imaging may also be needed.  Surgical intervention may be required to ameliorate your issues. Hope that this helps. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.  

From your photos, it appears you may have capsular contracture.

This is when the collagen-fiber capsule tightens and squeezes the breast implant . It is a medical complication that can be painful and may distort the breast implant and the breast . The degree of capsular contraction is graded using the four grade Baker scale : grade I-IV:

Grade I — the breast is normally soft and appears natural in size and shape
Grade II — the breast is a little firm, but appears normal
Grade III — the breast is firm and appears abnormal
Grade IV — the breast is hard, painful to the touch, and appears abnormal

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr Schwartz
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Need a visit to PS

 From the photograph in your description of pain, the more likely scenario is capsular contracture rather than an implant "flipping". With a round shaped implant, it is highly unlikely that the implant can be rotated at 90° so that is on its side.If it rotates 180°, most of the time you would never know especially if it's a gel implant and doesn't have a filling port. At this point, my best recommendation for you is to seek the counsel of a board-certified plastic surgeon in your region. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Implant shape

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend seeing a PS to evaluate your problem in person. From the photos you posted, it appears you may have a capsular contracture.  Which would explain the change in shape and discomfort you are describing, the only way to know for sure is for an in person evaluation. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 70 reviews

Second opinion.

I think it's time for you to see a plastic surgeon and have an examination of your breasts to see what the cause of the issues and pain you're having. Pain can occur with capsule contracture, but pain in the breasts also have many causes which have nothing to do with breast implants. You may need imaging of the breasts so speak with your primary care first. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 201 reviews

Flipped #breast implants

It appears that you have subglandular breast implants, and you are certain that one of the implant has flipped. The best option for you is to seek the help of an American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery physician member. Go to their web site and you should be able to find some surgeons close to you.

Based on the limited information obtained from your pictures, you may need  surgery to fix your problem.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.