I have a popping sensation when I massage my right breast due to sharp pain that recently started. Should I see my surgeon?

I had saline implants placed under the muscles 3years ago. I started feeling a sharp pain in my right breast yesterday. When I massage my breast I feel a popping, but it does not increase pain. The pain is random and is sharp. It generates through the nipple. I have been lifting light weights for the last 3months, and really have not done anything Different. The breast has not changes in softness or appearance. Should I worry about the popping sensation?

See your surgeon for an exam.

Your increased exercises may have stretched your tissues and caused compression of a nerve.

However popping sound could be implant damage-best to have an exam.

Popping and pain.

New onset pain in the breast should be evaluated by a physician. You may consider seeing your plastic surgeon for the popping sound especially if that breast is firmer than before. I usually send patients back to their primary for imaging studies and ask patients to stop using caffeine if they have new breast pain. Best wishes always, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Pain in breast

Thank you for your question. Yes, I would suggest getting in to see your surgeon. I would likely start with a simple ultrasound of the breast to get an overview of the implant, and be sure it is intact. We never want to ignore breast pain, especially 3 years out from surgery. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Popping sensation

At three years post procedure, I'm doubtful that something related to the surgery at this point. A slowly leaking breast implant may provide for that sensation. With the history of weightlifting a partial tear of the pectoralis muscle is certainly possible as well. I would recommend you be seen by your plastic surgeon for an exam. Doesn't sound like an emergency but I would have it looked at sooner rather than later. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Popping Sensation

Since you are noticing changes, you should see your surgeon to rule out any complications.  If the implant deflates, you will notice changes in size and shape. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Pain and popping sensation

Anytime you feel a new onset of pain you should get evaluated by your surgeon. Since its a saline implant if your implant deflates you will notice a change in the breast shape and size. It could be a slow process if it is a partial deflation. Does not sound like something to concerning but definitely go see your surgeon to role out any problems.

Good luck!