My 7 yr old daughter's earring holes are too large. What to do?

I removed my 7 yr old daughter's earrings tonight and noticed the holes look really large. She was pierced about 1.5 yrs ago. In that time, we've only changed here earrings about 3 or 4 times. The piercings don't look infected or red. But the large holes have me worried. I left her piercings open tonight. Will these shrink over time? Should I leave her ears open and let them try to close up? I don't want to make them worse.

Ear lobe repair

Earlobe repair is a very common procedure. Frequently, we have patients who will have the procedure done the same day as the consultation. Typically, the cost is between $450-850 per earlobe, depending on the severity and the length of the procedure.You may be able to find a doctor who will do this under insurance but i am not aware of any.The length of time the ears have been gauged should have no effect on the procedure. As long as the tissue is no longer irritated or inflamed, there is no reason not to give it a try. Gauged ears are sometimes more difficult than some other earlobe repairs since the tissue is so over stretched, but we are still able to create a natural looking earlobe. You can get your ear re pierced about 6 weeks after and should be included in the pricing. Shop around in your area and see if you can find a plastic surgeon in your budget

Earlob piercing holes are too large

I would definitely wait 4-6 weeks without any earrings in.  She hasn't had them pierced that long and they will probably close up on their own. 

Chad Robbins, MD

Earlobe piercing holes are too large

i would wait several weeks.  young girls piercings frequently close up almost too easily
just give it some time for now  

Leave the earrings out.

Definitely leave the earrings out for 6-8 weeks.  If the hole does not contract I would wait until she is older to close and repierce.  I have 3 daughters and think 9-10 is a better (more compliant) age.  If the holes do shrink try to avoid heavy earrings.  Jane

Ear Piercing Problems

I would take the earrings out for a few months to see if the holes get smaller.  They may start to close or close completely.  If they do, then you can re-pierce her ears in a few months.  If not, I would close the holes surgically under local anesthesia.  Most seven year olds will not tolerate having this performed in the office so I would wait until she becomes a little older.  The procedure involves removing the lining of the hole and suturing the hole close.  The sutures are removed in one week and the ears re-pierced in six weeks.

Melissa Doft, MD

Ear piercing problems

Thank You for your question!

Take out the earrings and leave them out. If the holes get smaller great, if not she can have the ear lobe holes closed when she is old enough to tolerate a local anesthetic. 

Best of luck 

Howard N. Robinson, MD (retired)

Ear piercing problems

The best initial thing to do is to leave them out for a couple of months.  Many times they will shrink down on their own.  If this does not result in a resolution of the problem, then a simple office procedure can remedy this situation.  After injection of a local anesthesia, I use a small biopsy core punch to excise the skin track or tunnel creating byn the piercing.  A single one or two dissolvable sutures are placed on each side of the ear lobe.  After 2 months you can re-pierce the ears again.  Good luck.

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide earring holes

It is unlikely that the wide earring holes will close or narrow on their own.However it is best to leave the ear in piercings alone for at least a few months and then reevaluate.  Please read below some of the instructions I give to my own patients that might help them avoid stretching out the earlobe piercings.

Dr. J

1. Keep the earlobe clean by using cotton balls soaked in hydrogen peroxide three times a day. Then apply over the counter antibiotic ointment such as Bacitracin, Polysporin, Triple antibiotic cream or Neosporin.
2. Return in one week to have the sutures removed.
3. Three weeks after surgery you can start wearing light clip on ear rings.
4. Six weeks after surgery you can get your ears pierced.
4. Wear only nickel free jewelry.
5. Do not wear any heavy ear rings,
6. Ear rings should be the last thing you put on before your leave the house and the first thing you take off when you get in the house.
7. Do not use the phone for prolonged periods of time or take the ear rings out.
8. Do not use pull over shirts or sweaters while wearing the ear rings.
9. Take off the ear rings at night.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon